International Paper (IP) Completes $2.2B Acquisition of Weyerhaeuser's Pulp Business
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/2: (ASNA) (HTBX) (REPH) Higher; (PLX) (MEMP) (DRYS) Lower
- Bond yields fall on U.S. jobs data, euro flat before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
International Paper (NYSE: IP) announced that it has completed its acquisition of Weyerhaeuser's pulp business for approximately $2.2 billion in cash, subject to post-closing adjustments. Because the transactio is a purchase of assets, International Paper expects to realize a tax benefit with an estimated net present value of approximately $300 million. International Paper expects annual synergies of approximately $175 million by the end of 2018, which will require the need for one-time costs of approximately $85 million.
"This transaction positions International Paper as the premier global supplier of fluff pulp and enhances our ability to generate additional cash flow," said International Paper Chairman and CEO Mark Sutton. "I want to personally welcome the talented employees of Weyerhaeuser to the International Paper family as we look forward to serving our customers around the world."
In this transaction, International Paper acquired five pulp mills and two converting facilities that produce fluff pulp, softwood pulp, and specialty pulp products for a number of consumer applications including diapers, other hygiene products, tissue, and textiles. The acquired business has approximately 1,900 employees around the world, with manufacturing operations based in Canada, Poland and the U.S. (located in Mississippi, Georgia and North Carolina).
The combined businesses will be called Global Cellulose Fibers, led by senior vice president Jean-Michel Ribieras, and reported as a separate business segment beginning with the Company's release of earnings for the fourth quarter of 2016.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Sonoco (SON) Affirms FY16 Outlook; Guides FY17 EPS Below Views
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on US Physical Therapy (USPH) to $63 Following 12-Clinic Acquisition
- Boston Scientific (BSX) Accquires Certain Assets, 15% Equity Stake in of Neovasc (NVCN) for $75M
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesEarnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!