IBM (IBM), Hortonworks (HDP) Announce Open Source Distribution on Power Systems
- Wall Street climbs in wake of first presidential face-off
- Nike (NKE) Tops Q1 EPS by 17c; Futures Orders Miss Views
- Tempur Sealy (TPX) Updates on Outlook; Sees Q3 Sales Below Prior Expectations
- Galectin (GALT) Reports Exploratory Phase 2a Pilot Trial of GR-MD-02 in Nash Misses Primary Biomarker Endpoint; Announces $1.5M Private Placement
- After-Hours Stock Movers 09/27: (SEED) (GALE) (CTAS) Higher; (GALT) (TPX) (NKE) Lower (more...)
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
IBM (NYSE: IBM) and Hortonworks (NASDAQ: HDP) today announced the planned availability of Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP®) for IBM Power Systems enabling POWER8 clients to support a broad range of new applications while enriching existing ones with additional data sources.
HDP's secure, enterprise-ready open source Apache Hadoop distribution provides clients with a highly scalable storage platform designed to process large data sets across thousands of computing nodes. For enterprise users running POWER8-based systems, the first microprocessor designed for big data and analytics, Hortonworks provides a new distribution option for selecting a cost-effective platform for running their big data and analytics workloads. This open source Hadoop and Spark distribution will complement the performance of Power Systems by allowing clients to quickly gain business insights from their structured and unstructured data.
"In order to compete and succeed in today's world of exponentially growing data, companies across all industries must find a way to deal with data performance, scalability and acceleration issues," said Terri Virnig, Vice President, Offering Management, Power Software Solutions, IBM. "We designed our POWER8 processor to provide leading I/O and memory capabilities inherently needed for fast data access and movement across a wide range of big data, analytics and cognitive applications."
Hortonworks and IBM are founding members of the Open Data Platform Initiative (ODPi). Launched in February 2015, ODPi is comprised of industry leaders working collaboratively to define and promote a set of standard open source technologies and increase compatibility among big data platforms. With Hortonworks HDP available on POWER8-based systems, IBM clients will have increased choice when selecting a top tier distribution for Hadoop and Spark, enabling them to fully exploit the performance, scalability and acceleration capabilities of the POWER8 platform.
"Customers who are looking to transform their data architecture want the flexibility of deployment on their preferred hardware platform," said Scott Gnau, CTO of Hortonworks. "Through our collaboration with IBM, customers will fully benefit from Hortonworks' 100 percent open source Hadoop distribution in combination with the unique value of IBM Power Systems."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fiesta Restauran (FRGI) Appoints Interim CEO; Will Suspend Pollo Tropical Developments in Texas, Continue to Own Taco Cabana
- Independence Realty Trust (IRT), RAIT Financial Trust (RAS) Enter Agreement on Management Internalization
- Gilead Sciences (GILD), WHO Enter Five-Year Visceral Leishmaniasis Collaboration
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot Corp. News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!