Hologic (HOLX) Affirms Cigna's Decision to Cover Breast Tomosynthesis for Routine Breast Cancer Screening
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Hologic Inc. (Nasdaq: HOLX) applauds Cigna's decision to cover breast tomosynthesis for routine breast cancer screening.1 Effective immediately, this new policy provides Cigna subscribers insurance coverage for Hologic's Genius™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY™ exam, the only mammogram clinically proven to detect cancer 15 months earlier than traditional 2D screenings.2
Cigna is the first national insurer to provide coverage of 3D™ mammograms for annual breast cancer screening for all women over age 40, and for high-risk women starting at age 25. Cigna changed its policy based on recent guidance from the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), which highlighted extensive clinical research supporting the benefits of breast tomosynthesis. With this policy change, the Genius™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY™ exam, shown to detect 40 percent more invasive cancers and reduce recalls by up to 41 percent, is now covered for the majority of women across the United States. 3,4
"We commend Cigna for its decision to cover 3D™ mammograms for breast cancer screening and are thrilled for the millions of women who now have access to this proven technology without co-pays or out-of-pocket expenses," said Pete Valenti, Hologic's Division President, Breast and Skeletal Health Solutions. "We urge other national insurers to follow Cigna's lead, because every woman in America deserves access to the Genius™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY™ exam, which detects more invasive cancers, earlier, and helps give women the best possible chance at survival."
Genius™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY™ exams have been available in the U.S. since 2011, and are only available on the Hologic Selenia® Dimensions® mammography system. More than 100 clinical studies have proven the effectiveness of this exam and in 2015, an estimated 10 million women in the U.S. benefited from a Genius™ exam. Additional information, as well as a locator to find imaging sites offering the exams, can be found at http://mygenius3d.com.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- PICO Holdings (PICO) Announces Leadership, Governance Changes; Terminates Central Square Agreement
- SoTHERLY Hotels (SOHO) Approves $10M Stock Buyback Plan
- Sears Holdings (SHLD) Director Mnuchin Resigns Amid Trump Nod
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!