Hemispherx Biopharma (HEB) Gets Final Approval for Settlement of Derivative, Class Action Suit
- Top 10 News for 9/26 - 9/30: Deutsche Bank Soars on Settlement; Twitter Back in the M&A Fray; Nike 'Just Didn't Do It' in Q1
- Wall Street rallies, led by Deutsche Bank, financials
- Viacom (VIAB) Forms Special Committee; Will Explore Potential Combination with CBS (CBS)
- Deutsche Bank (DB) Said Near $5.4B Settlement with U.S. - AFP
- Oil up second straight month on OPEC-fueled rally
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Hemispherx Biopharma (NYSE: HEB) announced that the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware has issued an order granting final approval of a settlement of the derivative and class action case captioned Kastis, et al. v. Carter, et al.
At a final settlement hearing on September 19, 2016, the Court approved the settlement and awarded the plaintiffs’ counsel $1.25 million in attorneys’ fees. No Company funds were used to pay the settlement or attorneys’ fees award; the settlement was funded by Hemispherx’s insurance companies which paid to Hemispherx $3.5 million in settlement of several policy disputes, in part related to this claim, that were in policy mediation. The final settlement does not constitute any admission of fault or wrongdoing by Hemispherx or any of the individual defendants.
"We are pleased to close this chapter and move forward toward continued success in accomplishing our important corporate goals of developing and commercializing Ampligen and Alferon," said Tom Equels, Hemispherx's CEO. "The net result of this order is that substantial funds and management time are now free for business purposes, rather than litigation, and we have settled all pending material litigation."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Depomed (DEPO) Announces Favorable Ruling on NUCYNTA Providing Market Exclusivity Until December 2025
- Berry Plastics Group (BERY) Names Tom Salmon as COO; CEO Jon Rich to Retire
- GEO Group (GEO) Receives BOP Extension on D. Ray James Correctional Facility Contract
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Litigation, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!