Helmerich Payne (HP) Enters Settlement with Keel; Sees Exposure of $21M - $23M
- Wall Street hits record high for third day in a row
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
- Exclusive: Japan's TDK in talks to buy iPhone supplier InvenSense - sources
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Helmerich Payne (NYSE: HP) disclosed the following in a U.S. SEC filing on Tuesday:
Item 1.01 Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement.
As previously disclosed, on or about April 28, 2015, Joshua Keel (“Keel”), an employee of Helmerich & Payne International Drilling Co. (“HPIDC”), filed a petition in the 152nd Judicial Court for Harris County, Texas (Cause No. 2015-24531) against Helmerich & Payne Inc. (“Company”), its subsidiary HPIDC, the operator, and several subcontractors of the operator. The suit arises from injuries Keel sustained in an accident that occurred while he was working on HPIDC Rig 223 in New Mexico in July of 2014. Keel alleged that the defendants were negligent and negligent per se, acted recklessly, intentionally, and/or with an utterly wanton disregard for the rights and safety of the plaintiff and was seeking damages well in excess of $100 million.
On September 14, 2016, the parties in the Keel litigation entered into a global settlement agreement, which is subject to court approval, providing for the payment by the Company and its insurers, on behalf of all defendants, of $72 million. After taking into account amounts to be paid by the Company’s various insurers, the Company estimates that its ultimate exposure will be in the range of $21 to $23 million. The payment is due on or before December 24, 2016.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Third-Party Said Interested in PrivateBancorp (PVTB) as CIBC (CM) Deal is Delayed
- Corvex Management Cuts Signet Jewelers (SIG) Stake in Half
- RGS Energy (RGSE) Announces Pricing of $4.1M Common Stock, Warrants Offering
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Litigation
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!