Great Basin Scientific (GBSN) Receives U.S. Patent Related to PCR Amplification Suppressor
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Great Basin Scientific, Inc. (OTC: GBSN) announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) issued U.S. Patent 9,434,999 for the company’s amplification suppressor. This technology blocks detection of contaminants present in the environment that may result in a false positive result and potential misdiagnosis of a patient.
The high sensitivity of molecular diagnostic testing makes it vulnerable to the influence of common environmental contaminants such as Staphylococcus epidermidis, which is widely found on skin and public surfaces. To provide for higher test specificity, Great Basin has developed this “amplification suppressor” strategy that can eliminate detection of Staphylococcus species or any other bacteria environmental contaminant when testing clinical specimens such as blood specimens, nasal swabs, or bronchial lavages from suspected pneumonia. The amplification suppressor is used in the Company’s Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel and is being utilized in the SA Nasal Screen Test, slated for clinical trial in the first half of 2017, as well as future tests and panels.
“In the molecular diagnostics community, concern that a positive test result is actually indicating an environmental contaminant—as opposed a life-threatening organism—has long been an industry concern,” said Robert D. Jenison, chief technology officer of Great Basin Scientific. “Great Basin’s amplification suppressor strategy assures clinicians receive accurate, actionable results that will define a clear treatment path for these ill patients, and supports the Company’s commitment to deliver some of the industry’s most accurate and fast molecular tests. We’re pleased to receive this patent to further protect our assets and portfolio of unique technology.”
With this patent grant, Great Basin has seven U.S. patents issued and 12 patents pending.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- PICO Holdings (PICO) Announces Leadership, Governance Changes; Terminates Central Square Agreement
- Allergan (AGN) Enters DELZICOL Patent Settlement Agreement
- bluebird bio (BLUE) Names New COO and New SVP of Europe
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Litigation, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!