Gap, Inc. (GPS) Sept. Comps Decline 3%
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) today reported that net sales for the five-week period ended October 1, 2016 decreased 2 percent to $1.43 billion compared with net sales of $1.46 billion for the five-week period ended October 3, 2015.
"While we remain focused on performance across the portfolio, we are pleased to see a strong customer response to Old Navy’s product assortment, which continues to drive positive momentum at our largest brand,” said Sabrina Simmons, chief financial officer, Gap Inc.
September Sales Results
Gap Inc.’s comparable sales for September 2016 were down 3 percent versus a 1 percent decrease last year. The company estimated that the fire which occurred in a building on its Fishkill, New York distribution center campus negatively impacted Gap Inc.’s September 2016 comparable sales by approximately 3 percentage points.
The company noted that September merchandise margin rates actualized significantly higher than previously forecasted, which more than offset the estimated earnings impact from lost sales and increased logistics costs during the month that resulted from the Fishkill distribution center fire.
Comparable sales by global brand for September 2016 were as follows:
- Gap Global: negative 10 percent, including an estimated negative impact from the Fishkill distribution center fire of approximately 5 percentage points, versus flat last year
- Banana Republic Global: negative 9 percent, including an estimated negative impact from the Fishkill distribution center fire of approximately 3 percentage points, versus negative 10 percent last year
- Old Navy Global: positive 4 percent, including an estimated negative impact from the Fishkill distribution center fire of approximately 2 percentage points, versus positive 4 percent last year
The company also noted that as a result of the Fishkill distribution center fire, it expects a negative impact of approximately 3 percentage points to Gap Inc.’s October 2016 comparable sales and a negative impact to comparable sales results in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2016.
Additional insight into Gap Inc.’s sales performance is available by calling 1-800-GAP-NEWS (1-800-427-6397). International callers may call 706-902-4949. The recording will be available at approximately 1:15 p.m. Pacific Time on October 6, 2016 and available for replay until 1:15 p.m. Pacific Time on October 14, 2016.
The company will report October sales at 1:15pm Pacific Time on Monday, November 7, 2016.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Sonoco (SON) Affirms FY16 Outlook; Guides FY17 EPS Below Views
- Skyline Medical (SKLN) Appoints New CEO, Board Member
- B&G Foods (BGS) Acquires Victoria Fine Foods for $70M
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Guidance, Hot Corp. News, Hot Guidance, Retail Sales
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!