Gap, Inc. (GPS) Nov. Comps Fell More than Expected
- Wall Street set to open flat as investors test rally
- Western Digital (WDC) Raises Q2 Outlook
- Biotech, Pharma Stocks Weaker Amid Trump Comments on Lower Drug Prices
- Oil slips on doubts output cut will end global glut
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 12/07: (EMKR) (PLAY) (WDC) Higher; (SIGM) (AVAV) (BLUE) Lower (more...)
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) reported that net sales for the four-week period ended November 26, 2016 were $1.53 billion compared with net sales of $1.57 billion for the four-week period ended November 28, 2015.
“While November traffic trends remained challenging, we are encouraged that performance improved in the back half of the month and we remain focused on executing our holiday plans,” said Sabrina Simmons, chief financial officer, Gap Inc.
November Comparable Sales Results
Gap Inc.’s comparable sales for November 2016 were down 1 percent versus an 8 percent decrease last year. (NOTE: The Street was looking for a drop of 0.4 percent.) The company estimated that the fire, which occurred in a building on its Fishkill, New York distribution center campus, negatively impacted Gap Inc.’s November 2016 comparable sales by approximately 3 percentage points. Additionally, the company noted that the majority of the fire-related negative impact to comparable sales during the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2016 occurred in November.
Comparable sales by global brand for November 2016 were as follows:
- Gap Global: negative 3 percent, including an estimated negative impact from the Fishkill distribution center fire of approximately 4 percentage points, versus negative 4 percent last year
- Banana Republic Global: positive 5 percent, including an estimated negative impact from the Fishkill distribution center fire of approximately 3 percentage points, versus negative 19 percent last year
- Old Navy Global: negative 2 percent, including an estimated negative impact from the Fishkill distribution center fire of approximately 1 percentage point, versus negative 9 percent last year
Gap Inc. noted that the estimated impact to comparable sales from the Fishkill distribution center fire was calculated by applying the forecasted merchandise margin rate before the fire occurred to the units that the company believed would have been sold in November.
Additional insight into Gap Inc.’s sales performance is available by calling 1-800-GAP-NEWS (1-800-427-6397). International callers may call 706-902-4949. The recording will be available at approximately 1:15 p.m. Pacific Time on December 1, 2016 and available for replay until 1:15 p.m. Pacific Time on December 9, 2016.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Linde to Resume Talks with Praxair (PX); Appoints Belloni as CEO
- Allegiant Travel (ALGT) Load Factor Fell 0.5 Points in Nov. 2016; TRASM Outlook Boosted
- Gulfport Energy (GPOR) Announces $87M Acquisition of Monroe County Acreage
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Guidance, Retail Sales
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!