GWG Holdings (GWGH) Exercises Option to Acquire Mortality Predictor Tech
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
GWG Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: GWGH) announced that it exercised its option to secure the exclusive license for the “DNA Methylation Based Predictor of Mortality” technology from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The technology was discovered by Dr. Steve Horvath and is featured in the September 2016 edition of “Aging”.
In 2013, Dr. Horvath reported that human cells have a mechanism that records biological aging progression based on DNA methylation that is independent from chronological aging progression. In 2016, Dr. Horvath discovered a specific set of DNA methylation-based bio-markers that are highly predictive of all-cause mortality. The discovery was made through a statistical analysis of bio-markers found in DNA samples from over 13,000 individuals whose health was studied for decades. The implications of Dr. Horvath’s discovery are simple and profound: Individual lifespans can now be estimated with significantly greater precision across large groups of individuals.
“We believe Dr. Horvath’s technology will revolutionize the prediction of human longevity,” commented Jon Sabes, Chief Executive Officer. “We expect to immediately implement this technology into our current business to enhance our actuarial underwriting precision. In addition, we intend to explore a more comprehensive application of this technology to the life insurance business. While we have some work to complete to firm up our expectations, we believe we may hold some of the most innovative financial technology the life insurance industry has seen in over a century.” More information regarding the DNA Methylation Based Predictor of Mortality technology and a discussion on the implications for GWG’s current business, as well as its potential application to the wider insurance industry, can be found on our website at www.gwgh.com.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- B&G Foods (BGS) Acquires Victoria Fine Foods for $70M
- Digital Ally (DGLY) Refutes TASER's Attack on ‘292 Patent; Says Nothing New Here
- Pandora (P) Advisers Said to Begin Reaching Out to Possible Suitors Following Approach from Sirius (SIRI) - Bloomberg
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesEarnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!