Enanta Pharma (ENTA) Affirms FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation Given to AbbVie’s HCV Regimen
- Healthcare, tech stocks drive Wall Street higher
- Twitter (TWTR) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Announces Restructuring, Workforce Reduction
- Qualcomm (QCOM) to Acquire NXP Semi (NXPI) in $47B Deal
- Tesla (TSLA) Posts Q3 adj.-EPS of 71c
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 10/27: (PRQR) (OCN) (TWTR) Higher; (CYH) (GNC) (RNWK) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Enanta Pharmaceuticals, Inc., (Nasdaq: ENTA) announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation (BTD) for AbbVie’s investigational, pan-genotypic regimen of glecaprevir (ABT-493)/pibrentasvir (ABT-530) (G/P) for the treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) who failed previous therapy with direct-acting antivirals (DAAs) in genotype 1 (GT1), including previous therapy with an NS5A inhibitor and/or protease inhibitor.
The BTD is supported by positive results seen in AbbVie’s Phase 2 MAGELLAN-1 clinical study. According to the FDA, BTD is intended to expedite the development and review of an investigational therapy for a serious or life threatening condition when there is preliminary clinical evidence that the therapy may demonstrate substantial improvement over any existing therapy.1
“The FDA’s Breakthrough Therapy Designation is an important step for AbbVie’s efforts to bring to market its pan-genotypic HCV medicine containing our second-generation protease inhibitor,” stated Jay R. Luly, Ph.D., CEO of Enanta. “AbbVie is also investigating an eight-week regimen of G/P for the majority of patients. We look forward to release of additional clinical data on G/P in the coming months.”
Glecaprevir (GLE) is Enanta’s second protease inhibitor being developed through its collaboration with AbbVie. AbbVie’s investigational regimen includes GLE, an NS3/4A protease inhibitor, and pibrentasvir (PIB), an NS5A inhibitor, which are co-formulated and dosed once daily as three oral tablets.
AbbVie will present new Phase 3 data evaluating the safety and efficacy of G/P across all major HCV genotypes (genotypes 1-6) at an upcoming scientific congress. There is additional information on the clinical trials for G/P conducted by AbbVie available at www.clinicaltrials.gov.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Vertex Pharma (VRTX) Announces Positive Longer-Term ORKAMBI + KALYDECO Data in CF Progression Modification
- Mattersight (MATR) Announces Strong YTD 2016 Patent Activity
- Felcor Lodging Trust (FCH) Receives Letter from Snow Park Capital; Calls for Evaluation of Strategic Alternatives
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!