Eli Lilly (LLY), Boehringer Ingelheim Note Presentation of Strong Jardiance Data in Cardiovascular Death Reduction for T2D Patients
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields fall on U.S. jobs data, euro flat before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
New data presented today at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2016 showed that Jardiance (empagliflozin) tablets consistently reduced the risk for cardiovascular death, regardless of the type of cardiovascular disease at baseline, compared with placebo when added to standard of care in adults with type 2 diabetes and established cardiovascular disease. The findings are part of the landmark EMPA-REG OUTCOME® trial, which is the first trial of a diabetes medication to show a reduction in cardiovascular death in adults with type 2 diabetes and established cardiovascular disease. This study is supported by Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY).
"Cardiovascular disease is two to four times more common in people with type 2 diabetes and is an umbrella term consisting of several different vascular outcomes, including heart attack, heart failure, peripheral vascular disease and stroke," said lead investigator of the trial Bernard Zinman, M.D., director, Diabetes Centre, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto; senior scientist, Lunenfeld Tanenbaum Research Institute, and professor of medicine, University of Toronto. "Since approximately two out of three deaths in people with type 2 diabetes in the U.S. are attributed to cardiovascular causes, we need diabetes therapies that help reduce this complication in individuals who have an underlying cardiovascular issue."
For this post hoc analysis, trial participants were grouped based on type of cardiovascular disease at baseline, which included history of heart attack, stroke, heart failure, atrial fibrillation and existing peripheral artery disease. Lower rates of cardiovascular death were seen in the JARDIANCE group independent of cardiovascular disease type. Observed adverse events were consistent with the known safety profile of JARDIANCE.
"JARDIANCE is the only oral type 2 diabetes medicine shown in a clinical trial to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death," said Professor Hans-Juergen Woerle, global vice president medicine, Metabolism, Boehringer Ingelheim. "These results provide further evidence and reinforce the strength of the EMPA-REG OUTCOME data demonstrating a reduction in risk of cardiovascular death in adults with type 2 diabetes and established cardiovascular disease."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- FDA Approves Boehringer Ingelheim's Jardiance to Reduce Cardiovascular Death in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes (LLY)
- Shire's (SHPG) Phase 3 Investigational Study of VONVENDI Meets Primary Endpoint in Controlling Bleeding in Adults with VWD
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Announces Filing Regulatory Submission with EMA for FF/UMEC/VI as COPD Treatment
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!