Eiger BioPharmaceuticals (EIGR) Receives EMA Orphan Designation for Exendin 9-39 as NIPHS Treatment
- Euro and global stocks hold Italy-related gains ahead of ECB
- Roper Industries (ROP) to acquire Deltek in $2.8B Deal
- GoDaddy (GDDY) to Acquire Host Europe Group in ~$1.8B Deal
- Amazon (AMZN) Could Open Over 2,000 Brick-and Mortar Groceries if Tests Succeed - DJ; Kroger (KR) on Watch
- Trump's corporate tax holiday could spur pharma M&A
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Eiger BioPharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: EIGR) announced that the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has granted orphan designation to exendin 9-39 for the treatment of non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS). NIPHS describes a spectrum of acquired metabolic disorders characterized by inappropriately high insulin levels (hyperinsulinemia) and low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia), which includes post-bariatric hypoglycemia (PBH). Eiger is developing a novel subcutaneously administered form of exendin 9-39 for patients who experience dangerously low postprandial (postmeal) blood glucose levels due to PBH, a rare and debilitating disorder with no approved treatment.
"Stanford researchers have demonstrated activity in two separate clinical proof-of-concept studies, first using an intravenous infusion of exendin 9-39 and more recently using subcutaneous injection of exendin 9-39 in patients with PBH. Exendin 9-39 prevented hypoglycemia and associated symptoms during oral glucose tolerance testing in patients with PBH," said David Cory, President and CEO of Eiger. "A significant unmet medical need exists and exendin 9-39 represents the first potential targeted therapy for patients suffering from PBH. A phase 2 multiple ascending dose (MAD) study of subcutaneously injected exendin 9-39 in PBH patients is currently enrolling at Stanford and we look forward to reporting results."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Hanover Insurance Group (THG) Names Former Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse Exec as Director
- Genesco (GCO) Enters Agreement to Sell SureGrip Footwear Subsidiary
- Caesars Entertainment (CZR), CEOC Receive Strong Creditor Support for CEOC Reorganization Plan
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!