Eiger BioPharmaceuticals (EIGR) Receives EMA Orphan Designation for Exendin 9-39 as NIPHS Treatment
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
- JPMorgan (JPM) Reports Q4 EPS of $1.71
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Eiger BioPharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: EIGR) announced that the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has granted orphan designation to exendin 9-39 for the treatment of non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS). NIPHS describes a spectrum of acquired metabolic disorders characterized by inappropriately high insulin levels (hyperinsulinemia) and low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia), which includes post-bariatric hypoglycemia (PBH). Eiger is developing a novel subcutaneously administered form of exendin 9-39 for patients who experience dangerously low postprandial (postmeal) blood glucose levels due to PBH, a rare and debilitating disorder with no approved treatment.
"Stanford researchers have demonstrated activity in two separate clinical proof-of-concept studies, first using an intravenous infusion of exendin 9-39 and more recently using subcutaneous injection of exendin 9-39 in patients with PBH. Exendin 9-39 prevented hypoglycemia and associated symptoms during oral glucose tolerance testing in patients with PBH," said David Cory, President and CEO of Eiger. "A significant unmet medical need exists and exendin 9-39 represents the first potential targeted therapy for patients suffering from PBH. A phase 2 multiple ascending dose (MAD) study of subcutaneously injected exendin 9-39 in PBH patients is currently enrolling at Stanford and we look forward to reporting results."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Delphi Automotive (DLPH) to Take $300M Pre-Tax Charge Related to Summary Judgment in Unsecured Creditors Litigation
- NGL Energy Partners (NGL) Names Jared Parker to Board of Directors
- US Foods (USFD) Names Dirk Locascio as CFO
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!