DISH Network (DISH) Begins Accepting Bitcoin for Payment
- Brexit sets Dow, S&P up for worst two-day drop in 10 months
- UK cut to AA from AAA at S&P; Outlook Negative
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 6/27: (HTWR) (AKER) (FCSC) Higher; (BCS) (TRXC) (EYEG) Lower
- Medtronic (MDT) to Acquire HeartWare (HTWR) in ~$1.1B Deal
- 28 Stocks to Buy Following Brexit - Morgan Stanley
DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH) announced that it will become the largest company to accept bitcoin. As the first subscription model pay-TV provider to make this move, DISH will begin accepting bitcoin payments from customers starting in the third quarter. DISH Network L.L.C. is a wholly owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation.
“We always want to deliver choice and convenience for our customers and that includes the method they use to pay their bills,” said Bernie Han, DISH executive vice president and chief operating officer. “Bitcoin is becoming a preferred way for some people to transact and we want to accommodate those individuals.”
DISH has selected Coinbase as the payment processor for bitcoin transactions with customers who choose to pay their bill online with the bitcoin wallet of their choice. DISH will use Coinbase’s Instant Exchange™ feature to exchange bitcoin payments to U.S. dollars at the moment of the transaction.
“We’re excited to support DISH and their current and new subscribers for their bitcoin transactions,” said Coinbase co-founder Fred Ehrsam. “This is a large step forward in the growing momentum of customers paying companies in bitcoin for things we do every day, like watching premium TV.”
“As a bitcoin payment processor, Coinbase will help DISH make the payment experience easy for our customers and make it easy for DISH to receive immediate credit in dollars, at an attractive cost for DISH,” added Han.
The bitcoin payment option will be available for DISH customers choosing to make one-time payments on mydish.com starting in the third quarter. Customers will still have the option to make any payment online via credit card, debit card or bank account.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Nestle (NSRGY) Will Name Ulf Mark Schneider as CEO; Bulcke to Step Down
- MGT Capital (MGT) Becomes Part of Russell Microcap Index
- Sequenom (SQNM) Disappointed Supreme Court Denied Petition Requesting Review of Decision on '540 Patent
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Forex, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!