Corrections Corporation of America (CXW), GEO Group (GEO) Decline; Justice Department to End Use of Private Prisons - Washington Post
- Wall St. opens higher as M&A activity boosts confidence
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- TD Ameritrade (AMTD) to Acquire Scottrade in $4B Cash & Stock Deal
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 10/24: (BEAV) (JPEP) (HLT) Higher; (BAS) (INO) (ADRO) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
(Updated - August 18, 2016 11:41 AM EDT)
(Updated - August 18, 2016 11:35 AM EDT)
GEO Group (NYSE: GEO) and Corrections Corporation of America (NYSE: CXW) shares were hammered Thursday after the Washington Post reported that the Justice Department plans to end use of private prisons. The decision was announced in a memo.
“They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and as noted in a recent report by the Department’s Office of Inspector General, they do not maintain the same level of safety and security," said the Washington Post, citing Sally Yates.
Both stocks were paused intraday following larges spikes lower.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Inovio Pharma (INO) Announces FDA Clinical Hold Placed on Proposed VGX-3100 Phase 3
- Community Bank System (CBU) to Acquire Merchants Bancshares (MBVT) in ~$304M Deal
- Tofutti Brands (TOF) Will Begin Trading OTC; Symbol Remains 'TOF'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot Corp. News, Rumors, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!