Cobalt International says Angola oil block stake sale terminated
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields fall on U.S. jobs data, euro flat before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
- Mnuchin Wants Fannie (FNMA)/Freddie (FMCC) Out of Government Hands, But Stocks Grossly Overvalued - Keefe, Bruyette & Woods
A woman walks past the head office of Angola's state oil company Sonangol in the capital Luanda, Angola August 26, 2012. REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko/File Photo
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Cobalt International Energy Inc (NYSE: CIE) said the proposed $1.75 billion sale of a 40 percent stake in two offshore oil blocks in Angola to the state oil company was terminated as it did not get the necessary approvals from the country's government.
The deal was automatically terminated after the Angolan government did not give the approvals within one year, Cobalt said on Tuesday. (http://bit.ly/2bCsPk2)
The oil and gas producer announced in August last year the sale of its 40 percent stake in the fields to Angola's Sonangol, which holds the remaining stake.
But, three weeks back Cobalt warned that it was unlikely to close the deal.
Cobalt said on Tuesday it has begun the marketing and sale process of the assets.
The company's shares had tumbled more than 40 percent on Aug. 2 when the company first said that the deal was unlikely to close. Since then the stock has pared most of it's losses through Monday's close.
(Reporting by Arathy S Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Neovasc (NVCN) Agrees to Sell Tissue Processing Tech to Boston Scientific (BSX) in $75M Deal
- EU Likely to Clear Microsoft's (MSFT) Merger with LinkedIn (LNKD) With Conditions - DJ
- LSC Communications, Inc. (LKSD) to Acquire Continuum; No Terms
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Mergers and Acquisitions, Reuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!