Chimerix (CMRX) Presents Preclinical IV Brincidofovir Data; Uniform Delivery to Key Organs Noted
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Chimerix (Nasdaq: CMRX) presented data from a preclinical study of intravenous (IV) brincidofovir to determine tissue distribution after single IV or oral administration of the drug. These data were presented at the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists’ Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado.
Data from this study showed that oral administration of brincidofovir provided consistent drug exposure to organs that are often the target of viral infection, such as the liver and kidney, but delivered much higher drug exposures in the small intestine than in other anatomical sites. In contrast, the new intravenous formulation of brincidofovir demonstrated much lower, yet constant exposure levels to the small intestines. The IV formulation delivered more uniform drug exposure levels to key organs including the small intestine, liver and kidney. Importantly, IV administration of brincidofovir resulted in higher central nervous system concentrations, which may support testing of this formulation in viral infections in the brain.
“Data from this study demonstrate limited gastrointestinal exposure with the intravenous formulation of brincidofovir,” said M. Michelle Berrey, MD, MPH, President and CEO of Chimerix. “Clinical studies of this formulation will allow us to determine if the gastrointestinal side-effects observed in prior studies of oral brincidofovir can now be addressed, while maintaining antiviral efficacy.”
As the new IV formulation of brincidofovir progresses in clinical studies, brincidofovir remains in development as an orally-administered lipid conjugate nucleotide for the treatment of adenovirus in hematopoietic cell transplant recipients and other immunocompromised patients, and as a medical countermeasure for the treatment of smallpox.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Northwest Biotherapeutics (NWBO) Offers Update on Phase 3 Trial Of DCVax-L for Newly Diagnosed GBM Cancer
- UPDATE: Macy's (M), Sears (SHLD), Kohl's Corp. (KSS) Accused of Posting Fake 'Original' Prices - Bloomberg
- ContraVir Pharma (CTRV) Announces Positive Update on CRV431 as HBV Treatment
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!