Caterpillar (CAT) Offers FY17 Guidance Update at Credit Suisse Conference
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
(Updated - December 1, 2016 11:19 AM EST)
On Thomson First Call consensus estimates, excluding restructuring, Caterpillar sees FY17 PPS and revenue of $3.25 and $38 billion as too optimistic given headwinds. (NOTE: The Street consensus is at EPS of $3.25 and revenue of $38.13 billion and First Call was at PPS of $3.25.)
The company sees operating profit tailwinds as:
- Cost reduction carryover from restructuring action of $300 - $400 million
- Additional cost reduction net of labor inflation at $300 - $500 million
Significant headwinds include:
- At $38 billion, sales are about $1 billion than FY16 guidance, which is a variable margin headwind of $350 - $450 million
- Short-term incentive compensation for employees for FY17 expected to be $500 - $600 million more than FY16
- Cat Financial unfavorable at about $100 million.
Caterpillar said that, net of headwinds and tailwinds, the company remains committed to decrementals of 25 - 35%, excluding restructuring costs.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Global Eagle Entertainment (ENT) to Obtain New Credit Facilities; Company in Discussions to Acquire Related Business, Satellite Transponders
- Axsome Therapeutics (AXSM) Files $200M Mixed Securities Shelf
- Caterpillar (CAT) Resumes Trading, Shares Decline
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Guidance, Hot Corp. News, Hot Guidance, Trader Talk, Trading Halts
Related EntitiesCredit Suisse
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!