Caelus and Apollo Global (APO) to Acquire Pioneer Natural Resources' Alaskan Business
- Top 10 News for 8/25 - 8/29: S&P 500's New Record; U.S. Q2 GDP Outpaces Views; Major Mergers Aplenty
- Pressure on U.S. to Update Terror Alert System After U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level
- American Airlines Group (AAL)/Orbitz Worldwide (OWW) Reach Agreement; American Airlines Back on Orbitz Sites
- FTC Requests Additional Info from Reynolds American (RAI), Lorillard (LO) on Pending Deal
- Digital Ally (DGLY) Warns Lofty CEO Expectations May Not Be Attainable
Caelus Energy Alaska LLC and affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC (NYSE: APO) have formed a strategic partnership to invest in oil and gas properties in Alaska. Today Caelus has closed its first transaction, the acquisition of Pioneer Natural Resources' Alaskan oil and gas business, for $300 million in cash, subject to adjustments, plus other consideration. Caelus, headquartered in Dallas, TX, has an executive management team led by Chief Executive Officer James C. Musselman and a technical team led by Chief Technical Officer Kenny Goh. Among other things, Mr. Musselman previously led Kosmos Energy, which discovered the 1 billion-plus barrel Jubilee field off the West African coast, and Triton Energy, which was acquired by Amerada Hess for $3.2 billion. Apollo funds have the opportunity to invest up to $1 billion in Caelus (in the aggregate) to develop the company's existing assets and to pursue acquisitions or other additional investments.
Mr. Musselman said, “We are excited to be working with Apollo to build a world-class, Alaska-focused independent E&P business, beginning with the acquisition Pioneer’s Alaskan oil and gas operations. The current Pioneer Alaska team has the experience to grow and develop the tremendous resource potential they have identified. We believe Alaska offers an enormous geologic opportunity, coupled with a favorable regulatory environment for independent oil and gas companies.”
Greg Beard, Global Head of Natural Resources and Senior Partner at Apollo, said, "We look forward to working with Jim and the rest of his team as we seek attractive investment opportunities in resource-rich Alaska.” Geoffrey Strong, Partner at Apollo, added, "We are confident that Caelus can efficiently develop the existing reserves it is acquiring while building a first-rate oil and gas company through add-on acquisitions and new discoveries. We are delighted to have the opportunity to invest alongside Jim and his team."
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Repsol Drops Plans to Buy all of Talisman Energy (TLM) - Bloomberg
- Rexnord to Participate in Vertical Research Partners Industrial Conference
- Hercules Technology Growth Capital (HTGC) COO Resigns
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!