Boston Scientific (BSX) Acquires Distal Access' Gynecology and Urology Portfolio
- Dow opens at record high led by oil, bank stocks
- Oil tops $55 for first time in 16 months as OPEC deal fuels buying
- Consolidated Communications (CNSL) to Acquire FairPoint Communications (FRP) in $1.5B Deal
- Wall St. stock futures fall after Italy referendum
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 12/05: (FRP) (GMED) (CHK) Higher; (CERC) (HDSN) (MRVL) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) has acquired the gynecology and urology portfolio of Distal Access, LLC, a Salt Lake City based company that designs minimally invasive medical devices. The portfolio includes the Resectr™ Tissue Resection Device, a single-use solution designed to effectively remove uterine polyps.
Uterine polyps can cause a variety of symptoms, including abnormal uterine bleeding and infertility. Nearly 80 percent of women will develop one or more polyps in their lifetime1 and polyps should be removed in order to determine if they are benign or contain malignant or pre-malignant cells. More than 400,000 polypectomies, the procedure to remove polyps, are performed annually in the United States. 2
"The Resectr device is exactly the type of innovation we need to help make healthcare more cost-effective and accessible for physicians and their patients," said David Pierce, senior vice president and president, Boston Scientific, urology and pelvic health. "This acquisition is part of our commitment to advance comprehensive solutions for women's health that can help physicians provide high-quality care."
The Resectr device is compatible with a broad range of hysteroscopes and enables physicians to treat patients with polyps in an office, hospital or ambulatory surgery center and reduces the need for investment in additional capital equipment required with traditional surgical tools used in this procedure. Used in conjunction with a diagnostic hysteroscope, the Resectr device offers the flexibility to treat polyps in a single office visit. Clinical studies have demonstrated that outpatient treatment of uterine polyps is a cost-effective alternative3 to inpatient treatment with similar clinical outcomes. 4
The Resectr device will be integrated into the Boston Scientific urology and pelvic health business which offers minimally invasive solutions for gynecologic surgery, including the Symphion™ System for uterine tissue removal and Genesys HTA™ System for the treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding. In addition, the urology and pelvic health portfolio includes products focused on kidney stones, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), erectile dysfunction, male incontinence and pelvic floor disorders.
The acquisition of the gynecology and urology portfolio from Distal Access is immaterial to earnings per share (EPS) in 2016 and 2017 on an adjusted and GAAP basis. Specific terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
- Khan AT, Shehmar M, Gupta JK. Uterine fibroids: current perspectives. Int J Womens Health. 2014 Jan 29;6:95-114.
- MedTech 360 Market Analysis. Rep. Burlington: MedTech Reports, 2015. Print.
- Diwakar, L., Te Roberts, Nam Cooper, L. Middleton, S. Jowett, J. Daniels, P. Smith, and Tj Clark. "An Economic Evaluation of Outpatient versus Inpatient Polyp Treatment for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding." BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology BJOG: Int J Obstet Gy 123.4 (2015): 625-31. Web.
- "AAGL Practice Report: Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Endometrial Polyps." Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology 19.1 (2012): 3-10. Web.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Materion Corp. (MTRN) to Acquire Certain Materials Business Assets from Heraeus Group
- Marsh & McLennan (MMC) Unit Announces Acquisition of Benefits Resource Group
- Zynerba Pharma (ZYNE) Announces Strong ZYN002 Phase 1 in Epilepsy Patients with Focal Seizues
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesTwitter, Earnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!