Barrick Gold (ABX) Taps Waterton Global Resource;s Hill as CIO
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Barrick Gold Corporation (NYSE: ABX) announced the appointment of Mark Hill as Chief Investment Officer, effective September 12.
In this newly-created position, Mr. Hill will chair Barrick's Investment Committee, and will ensure a high degree of consistency and rigor is applied to all capital allocation decisions at the company-whether at existing operations, development projects, exploration (both near-mine and greenfields), or potential acquisitions and divestments.
Mr. Hill brings added technical experience to the investment review process at Barrick, complementing the economic and financial expertise of Chief Financial Officer Catherine Raw. He will join the company's Executive Committee, as well as our Growth Group, and will oversee an Evaluations team, who will independently scrutinize proposed expenditures before they go to the Investment Committee.
Mr. Hill has more than 25 years of experience in the mining industry. He re-joins Barrick after four years at Waterton Global Resource Management, where he is currently a partner and Head of Mining. In this role, Mr. Hill leads Waterton's Evaluations group, and works with a multi-disciplinary team to conduct asset evaluations and due-diligence reviews.
"The creation of this role reflects our belief that effective capital allocation is a core responsibility of the head office," said Barrick Executive Chairman John L. Thornton. "Mark's previous experience at Barrick, combined with his time at Waterton-a private investor with an outstanding track record of capital allocation-make him an ideal choice to become the company's first Chief Investment Officer."
Prior to Waterton, Mr. Hill's positions at Barrick included Vice President, Evaluations, and Vice President, Capital Projects. He has also held senior positions with BHP Billiton, AngloGold Ashanti, Placer Dome, and WMC Ltd. Mr. Hill holds a Bachelor's degree in Mining Engineering, and a Graduate Diploma in Mineral Economics.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- PICO Holdings (PICO) Announces Leadership, Governance Changes; Terminates Central Square Agreement
- MyoKardia (MYOK) Receives $25M Milestone Related to MYK-491 Development (SNY)
- Amgen (AMGN), Allergan (AGN) Announce Submission of ABP 215 MAA to EMA
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Changes, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!