Ballard Power (BLDP) Announces Commissioning, Deployment of Fuel Cell Buses in Sanshui
- Health, energy stocks hit Wall St, Microsoft lifts Nasdaq
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
- General Electric (GE) Tops Q3 EPS by 2c; Updates FY16 EPS Outlook
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Ballard Power Systems (Nasdaq: BLDP) announced the commissioning and deployment of an initial 12 fuel cell-powered buses in the District of Sanshui, in the City of Foshan, in the Province of Guangdong, China. The buses will be operated by Foshan Sanshui Guohong Public Transit Co. Ltd., on demonstration route #682 from Gaofeng Park Station to Shuidu Industrial Park Station.
The buses are 11 meters in length and feature advanced safety systems, 80 person capacity, anticipated driving range in excess of 300 kilometers, expected hydrogen gas consumption of less than 6.5 kilograms per 100 kilometers, zero tailpipe emissions and remote monitoring. Unlike many battery electric bus routes, the transit route in Foshan will not require any catenary wires or on-route recharging.
Randy MacEwen, Ballard's President & CEO said, "In September 2015 we announced the planned deployment of 300 fuel cell-powered buses in Foshan/Yunfu. Our program consortium has made considerable progress over the past year, including localization of Ballard-designed fuel cell engines, establishment of a fuel cell bus manufacturing facility, local procurement activities, development of systems integration capabilities, national permitting of a fuel cell bus platform, preparations for hydrogen refueling infrastructure and development of our China service team."
Mr. MacEwen continued, "Now the first installment of zero-emission fuel cell buses is hitting the roads in Foshan, with the commissioning of an initial 12 buses in passenger service. This marks the largest deployment of fuel cell buses in China's history. The Foshan and Yunfu governments are demonstrating strong vision and leadership by solving a growing need for mass urban transit while responsibly addressing local air quality and stimulating local economic development."
Ballard's program partners include:
- Guangdong Nation Synergy Hydrogen Power Technology Co. Ltd. ("Synergy"), providing 85 kilowatt fuel cell engines designed by Ballard;
- Foshan Feichi Bus ("Feichi"), manufacturer of the buses;
- Shanghai Reinventing Fire Technology Company Limited ("Re-Fire"), a leading Chinese fuel cell vehicle systems integrator that has integrated the fuel cell engines into the Feichi buses; and
- Zhangjiagang Furui Special Equipment Co., Ltd. ("Furuise"), a Chinese leader in liquefying, storage, transit and application of liquefied natural gas, including LNG and CNG vehicle gas filling stations and is expected to be the provider of hydrogen refueling infrastructure.
Mr. Xu Guo, Vice Mayor of the City of Foshan/Yunfu said, "We are moving the Cities of Foshan and Yunfu into the future by adopting zero-emission fuel cell buses that have long range, fast refueling and outstanding passenger comfort. We expect additional routes to be commissioned in the coming months."
Mr. Frank Ma, Chairman of Synergy stated, "In the past year we have localized Ballard-designed fuel cell modules in Foshan/Yunfu to meet the fast growing demand for clean energy buses in China. Our program for 300 fuel cell buses will now enter the next phase of rapid scaling."
Mr. Jiang Yong, General Manager of Feichi added, "We are thrilled with the progress made with Feichi fuel cell buses. Our 11 meter fuel cell bus platform has been permitted. Our new fuel cell bus manufacturing facility in Yunfu has been completed. And, we are first-to-market in China with a leading fuel cell bus offering."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Whole Foods Market (WFM) Says It's Cooperating Fully with Detroit Health Department Following Case of Hepatitis A
- Equity Bancshares (EQBK) Clears Final Regulatory Hurdle Needed to Close Community First Bancshares Merger; Moves to Acquire Prairie State Bancshares
- PTC Therapeutics (PTCT) Commences RG7916 Phase 2 in Type 2/3 SMA Patients with Roche, SMAF
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!