Athenahealth (ATHN) Announces acquisition of Filament Labs
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
athenahealth, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATHN) announced the acquisition of Filament Labs, Inc., d/b/a Patient IO (“Patient IO”), an Austin-based care coordination platform used by providers to engage patients and caregivers outside the four walls of the clinic.
Delivered as a simple and elegant mobile and web-based application, Patient IO turns care plans into actionable daily tasks for patients. Whether managing medications, reviewing educational content, or recording self-reported data, Patient IO empowers patients to play an impactful, ongoing role in their own care.
“Care coordination and patient self-management is the next big ground on which healthcare will compete,” said Jon Porter, Senior Vice President of Emerging Services, athenahealth. “By adding Patient IO to our portfolio and delivering their solution as a native component of athenahealth’s population health services, we’ve been able to strengthen our ability to partner with providers as they enter into and become masters of value-based care delivery. Patient IO accelerates our movement towards an exciting strategic milestone: becoming a trusted resource and partner to the patient.”
Patient IO was founded in 2013 by entrepreneurs Jason Bornhorst, Colin Anawaty, and Brian Gambs. Patient IO is a Techstars Austin company, with CEO Jason Bornhorst recently named to the Forbes 30 Under 30 in Healthcare.
“We are eager to marry our mobile care management competencies with athenahealth’s unique, network-enabled services,” said Jason Bornhorst, co-founder and CEO of Patient IO. “By taking a patient-centered approach to development and embracing the potential of mobile, together we can reach more healthcare organizations than ever before. Our combined offering will deliver actionable insights that help our customer organizations transition to a value-based care environment, improving outcomes and quality at every turn.”
Differentiated by its ‘API-first’ architecture and omni-channel engagement, Patient IO will form the basis for athenahealth’s patient-facing mobile application, athenaWell. This integrated functionality is already live in market with select clients today, and will be made available to new athenahealth Population Health® clients as a native component of the service beginning this fall.
athenahealth initially made an investment in Patient IO in October 2015 via the ‘More Disruption Please’ (MDP) Accelerator program. MDP provides high-potential start-ups with direct access to athenahealth’s resources, expertise, and network of over 80,000 healthcare providers. Patient IO is athenahealth’s second acquisition of an MDP Accelerator portfolio company, following athenahealth’s acquisition of Arsenal Health in April 2016.
About Patient IO
- The Patient IO team will join athenahealth Austin, including CEO Jason Bornhorst, Chief Technology Officer Brian Gambs, and Chief Product Officer Colin Anawaty. Bornhorst will serve as Executive Director of Product Strategy.
- Over 30 clinical sites currently depend on Patient IO to coordinate care for their patients. Patient IO will continue to service its full roster of clients and sell into non-athenahealth entities under its current name.
- The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Celgene (CELG) to Acquire Acetylon Pharmaceuticals
- PICO Holdings (PICO) Announces Leadership, Governance Changes; Terminates Central Square Agreement
- Delta Air Lines (DAL) Names New Chief Communications Officer
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!