AstraZeneca (AZN) Confirms FDA Partial Clinical Hold Placed on Patient Recruitment for MEDI4736 Trial in HNSCC; Issues Commentary
- BAT Reaches Deal to Acquire Reynolds American (RAI) for $49 Billion
- Trump, Brexit uncertainty hit stocks and dollar, gold jumps
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Affirms Outlook
- Oil rises on weaker dollar, Saudi commitment to cut output
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Following the recent update on clinicaltrials.gov, AstraZeneca confirms that the US FDA has placed a partial clinical hold on the enrolment of new patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) in clinical trials of durvalumab as monotherapy and in combination with tremelimumab or other potential medicines. All trials are continuing with existing patients.
The partial clinical hold on new patient enrolment relates only to head and neck cancer. Trials for durvalumab in different cancer types, as monotherapy or in combination with tremelimumab or other potential medicines, are progressing as planned, with pivotal data in lung cancer anticipated in the first half of 2017.
The FDA’s decision follows voluntary action by AstraZeneca to pause enrolment of new HNSCC patients while a detailed analysis is conducted of adverse events related to bleeding that were observed as part of routine safety monitoring of the Phase III KESTREL and EAGLE trials. Bleeding is a known complication in treatments of head and neck cancers primarily due to the nature of the underlying disease, the proximity of tumours to major blood vessels and use of prior cancer therapies, which may involve surgery and radiation.
AstraZeneca has submitted its analysis of the observed bleeding events to the FDA for review and is working closely with the Agency, providing the required information to resume new patient enrolment as soon as possible.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Benitec Biopharma (BNTC) BB-301 Granted Orphan Drug Designation in EU
- Sanofi (SNY) and Regeneron (REGN) file appeal notice of Amgen (AMGN) Praluent victory - Bloomberg
- Kellogg (K) Appoints Fareed Khan as CFO
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!