Amgen (AMGN) Receives Positive EMA CHMP Opinion on Parsabiv as Secondary Hyperparathyroidism Treatment
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
On 15 September 2016, the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) adopted a positive opinion, recommending the granting of a marketing authorisation for the medicinal product Parsabiv, intended for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism. The applicant for this medicinal product is Amgen Europe B.V., a unit of Amgen (Nasdaq: AMGN).
Parsabiv will be available as 2.5, 5 and 10 mg vials containing a solution for injection. The active substance of Parsabiv is the synthetic peptide etelcalcetide, a calcimimetic agent (ATC code: H05BX04) which reduces parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion by the parathyroid gland through binding and activation of the calcium-sensing receptor.
The benefits with Parsabiv are its ability to reduce abnormally elevated serum PTH levels in patients with chronic kidney disease on haemodialysis therapy, in order to mitigate the adverse consequences of secondary hyperparathyroidism in these patients. The most common side effect is a decrease of serum calcium levels. Other common side effects are muscle spasms, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.
The full indication is: "Parsabiv is indicated for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism (SHPT) in adult patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) on haemodialysis therapy".
Detailed recommendations for the use of this product will be described in the summary of product characteristics (SmPC), which will be published in the European public assessment report (EPAR) and made available in all official European Union languages after the marketing authorisation has been granted by the European Commission.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Macy's (M), Sears (SHLD), Kohl's Corp. (KSS) Accused of Posting Fake 'Original' Prices - Bloomberg
- Franklin Resources (BEN) Reports Nov. AUM of $714.4B
- Cohen & Steers (CNS) Reports Nov. AUM of $56.5B
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!