Amgen (AMGN) Announces XGEVA vs. Zoledronic Acid Study Met Primary Endpoint; Secondary Endpoints Missed
- Wall Street hits new high as post-election rally roars ahead
- Lower for longer, ECB scales back asset buys
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Oil rises above $50 despite doubts over OPEC output cut
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 12/08: (VYGR) (TLRD) (LULU) Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Amgen (Nasdaq: AMGN) announced that a Phase 3 study evaluating XGEVA® (denosumab) versus zoledronic acid met the primary endpoint of non-inferiority (hazard ratio = 0.98, 95 percent CI, 0.85 - 1.14) in delaying the time to first on-study skeletal-related event (SRE) in patients with multiple myeloma. The secondary endpoints of superiority in delaying time to first SRE and delaying time to first-and-subsequent SRE were not met. The hazard ratio of XGEVA versus zoledronic acid for overall survival was 0.90 (95 percent CI, 0.70 - 1.16).
Adverse events observed in patients treated with XGEVA were generally consistent with the known safety profile of XGEVA. The most common adverse events (greater than 25 percent) in the XGEVA arm of the study were diarrhea and nausea.
"Bone complications like fracture, spinal cord compression and radiation or surgery to bone are devastating for multiple myeloma patients. Many of these patients suffer from renal impairment, which has limited their treatment options," said Sean E. Harper, M.D., executive vice president of Research and Development at Amgen. "XGEVA's unique mechanism of action has the potential to prevent bone complications in multiple myeloma patients regardless of their renal status, fulfilling an important unmet medical need."
Detailed results will be submitted to a future medical conference and for publication. The Company plans to submit these data to regulatory authorities.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Horizon Pharma (HZNP) Announces ACTIMMUNE Phase 3 in FA Missed Primary Endpoint
- Duke Energy Renewables Announces Acquisition of Victory Solar Power Project (DUK)
- Universal Health (UHS) Disputes and Denies Conclusions in BuzzFeed Article
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Hot Corp. News, Management Comments
Related EntitiesTwitter, Dividend, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!