Alibaba Group (BABA) Generated $7B of GMV Within the First Two Hours 11.11 Shopping Festival
- S&P, Nasdaq hit highs on gains in health, tech stocks
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Sibanye Gold (SBGL) to Acquire Stillwater Mining Company (SWC) in $2.2B Deal
- Exclusive: ECB rejects Monte Paschi's request for more time to raise cash - source
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA) announced that more than USD 7 billion (RMB 47.5 billion) of gross merchandise volume (GMV) was settled through Alipay on Alibaba’s China and international retail marketplaces within the first two hours of the 2016 11.11 Global Shopping Festival.
"Chinese consumers purchased more in the first hour of 11.11 this year than the entire 24 hours in 2013, reflecting the incredible evolution of our global shopping festival. This unprecedented level of engagement demonstrates both the consumption power of Chinese consumers and their embrace of online shopping as a lifestyle,” said Daniel Zhang, chief executive officer of Alibaba Group.
In the hours leading up to the official midnight start of November 11, millions of viewers watched the Alibaba Group 11.11 Global Shopping Festival Countdown Gala live online and on mobile devices via Youku Tudou, and the Tmall and Taobao apps. The gala was televised live across China through Zhejiang Satellite TV, as well as in Hong Kong and Macau for the first time.
“This year, we innovated new ways for consumers watching the live broadcast of our countdown gala. Viewers were able to influence the production of the show in real-time through their mobile phones,” said Chris Tung, chief marketing officer, Alibaba Group. “Consumers in front of their televisions were shaking, tapping, scanning, chatting, browsing and buying with their mobile devices, creating a seamless and truly immersive entertainment experience.”
The annual shopping event kicked off earlier today at 12:00 a.m. China Time. Early highlights included:
- Within the first 5 minutes, total GMV settled through Alipay exceeded USD 1 billion (RMB 6.8 billion)
- In the first hour, total GMV settled through Alipay was USD 5.2 billion (RMB 35.3 billion)
- In the first two hours, total GMV settled through Alipay was USD 7.2 billion (RMB 48.6 billion), and mobile GMV settled through Alipay accounted for 84% of total GMV
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Macy's (M), Sears (SHLD), Kohl's Corp. (KSS) Accused of Posting Fake 'Original' Prices - Bloomberg
- PPG Industries (PPG) Announces Restructuring Plan, Targeting $125M in Yearly Savings
- Milestone Scientific (MLSS) Updates on Henry Schein (HSIC) Agreement; Completes Training of Specialists
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot Corp. News, Management Comments, Momentum Movers, Retail Sales, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!