Alaska Air Group (ALK), Virgin America (VA) to Extend Regulatory Review of Proposed Merger
- Wall Street opens flat as investors assess earnings
- General Motors (GM) Tops Q3 EPS by 28c
- Procter & Gamble (PG) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c
- DuPont (DD) Tops Q3 EPS by 14c; Boosts FY16 EPS Outlook; Says Continuing to Work with Regulators
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 10/25: (SAEX) (CWEI) (SWFT) Higher; (DPRX) (CRBP) (UA) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Alaska Air Group, Inc. (NYSE: ALK), parent company of Alaska Airlines, and Virgin America Inc. (Nasdaq: VA) announced that each carrier has agreed with the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) to extend the date of their timing agreement, stating the parties will not consummate the acquisition prior to Oct. 17, unless the DOJ provides written concurrence to close within a shorter period. The parties previously agreed to not close the merger before Sept. 30. The extension gives the DOJ additional time to review the proposed merger.
The two airlines are confident they will address any concerns and obtain regulatory approval to complete their pro-competition, pro-consumer transaction. Given the airlines' largely complementary networks, the relative size of this merger compared to past airline combinations, and both Virgin America and Alaska's emphasis on customer service, the airlines are also confident the DOJ will agree this merger will provide consumers more choices and lower fares while allowing for more robust competition against the Big Four airlines, which control 84 percent of the domestic market.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- NXP Semiconductors (NXPI) PT Raised at Oppenheimer Ahead of Earnings and Potential M&A
- QImaging® Announces 30-Minute Imaging Sessions Featuring Application-Specific Imaging at Neuroscience 2016 in San Diego
- McGraw-Hill Education Appoints Diane Adams as Chief Human Resources Officer
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!