Aegerion Pharma (AEGR) Receives Approval in Japan for JUXTAPID Pricing
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: AEGR) announced that Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor & Welfare (MHLW) has approved pricing of JUXTAPID in Japan. The pricing authorization follows Japanese regulatory approval of Juxtapid for the treatment of homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HoFH) on September 28, 2016.
HoFH is a serious, rare genetic disease that impairs the function of the receptor responsible for removing LDL-C (“bad” cholesterol) from the body. A loss of LDL receptor function results in extreme evaluation of blood cholesterol levels. HoFH patients often develop premature and progressive atherosclerosis, a narrowing or blocking of the arteries.
“The pricing authorization is the last major step before making this important therapy available to patients in Japan,” said Mary Szela, Chief Executive Officer of Aegerion. “Juxtapid plays a valuable clinical role in HoFH, helping patients reduce and sustain reductions in LDL-C. We’re pleased that the pricing reflects the value of this therapy and allows the company to expand the company’s global reach in serving patients with rare diseases.”
In Japan, HoFH is recognized as an intractable disease, which is defined by the lack of established treatment and the significant risk to patients. The company looks forward to working with Japanese healthcare providers to serve those patients who have been identified through the intractable disease program while supporting the identification of patients who remain undiagnosed and at risk.
Because of the importance of maintaining a low-fat diet and taking nutritional supplements for patients on JUXTAPID, Aegerion has provided specific guidance on these items to physicians.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Ono Enter Settlement and License Agreement with Merck (MRK) to Resolve PD-1 Antibody Patent Litigation
- Atmos Energy (ATO) Announces Departure of CFO Bret Eckert
- Ethicon Announces Acquisition of Megadyne Medical Products (JNJ)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!