Acadia Pharma (ACAD) Commences Pimavanserin Phase 2 in MDD
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: ACAD) announced the initiation of CLARITY, a Phase II study to evaluate pimavanserin for adjunctive treatment in patients with major depressive disorder (MDD) who have an inadequate response to first-line therapies for clinical depression. Pimavanserin is a selective serotonin inverse agonist (SSIA) preferentially targeting 5-HT2A receptors that may play a role in depression.
“Major depressive disorder affects millions of people in the United States every year and many do not respond adequately to currently available treatments,” said Professor Maurizio Fava, M.D., Executive Vice Chair, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and Associate Dean for Clinical & Translational Research, Harvard Medical School. “With its highly selective mechanism of action, pimavanserin may provide a new approach to the adjunctive treatment of patients with major depressive disorder and may represent an opportunity to improve clinical outcomes in these patients.”
“We are committed to the development of pimavanserin in additional CNS disorders that are underserved by currently available therapies and represent a significant unmet medical need. Inadequate response to current antidepressants is one such condition,” said Serge Stankovic, M.D., M.S.P.H., ACADIA’s Executive Vice President, Head of Research and Development. “We are gratified to be able to leverage the vast knowledge and expertise of our colleagues at MGH and conduct this study in collaboration with the MGH Clinical Trials Network & Institute.”
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Shire's (SHPG) Phase 3 Investigational Study of VONVENDI Meets Primary Endpoint in Controlling Bleeding in Adults with VWD
- Sears Holdings (SHLD) Director Mnuchin Resigns Amid Trump Nod
- Amgen (AMGN), Allergan (AGN) Announce Submission of ABP 215 MAA to EMA
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!