M/A-Com Technology Solutions (MTSI) to Acquire Applied Micro Circuits (AMCC) in $770M Deal
- Dow opens at record high led by oil, bank stocks
- Oil tops $55 for first time in 16 months as OPEC deal fuels buying
- Consolidated Communications (CNSL) to Acquire FairPoint Communications (FRP) in $1.5B Deal
- Wall St. stock futures fall after Italy referendum
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 12/05: (FRP) (GMED) (CHK) Higher; (CERC) (HDSN) (MRVL) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
MACOM Technology Solutions Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: MTSI) announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Applied Micro Circuits Corporation (Nasdaq: AMCC) for approximately $8.36 per share, consisting of $3.25 in cash and 0.1089 MACOM shares per share of AppliedMicro. This price for each share of AppliedMicro represented a 15.4% premium over the company’s closing price of $7.25 on Friday, November 18th. MACOM intends to divest the well-positioned but non-strategic Compute business within the first 100 days of closing.
Transaction Highlights Include:
- Transaction valued at approximately $770 million for AppliedMicro’s approximately $165 million in TTM revenue (including the Compute business) and $82 million of cash and short-term investments at September 30, 2016
- MACOM and AppliedMicro’s pro forma combined TTM revenue was approximately $709 million including AppliedMicro’s Compute business, or approximately $644 million excluding the Compute business
- AppliedMicro’s Connectivity business is highly complementary to MACOM’s product portfolio, through the addition of market-leading OTN framers, MACsec Ethernet networking components and the industry’s leading single-lambda PAM4 platform
- Transaction to accelerate MACOM’s significant growth in optical technologies for Cloud Service Providers and Enterprise Network customers serving the high-growth, high-margin Data Center market
- AppliedMicro’s leadership PAM4 solutions based on FinFET technology and custom engagements with top-tier Data Center and service provider customers is expected to strengthen MACOM’s competitive position with those customers
- MACOM expects to improve the profitability of AppliedMicro by divesting the Compute business and by delivering on substantial revenue and cost synergies
- Excluding the Compute business, MACOM expects this transaction to be accretive to its non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP operating margin and non-GAAP EPS, in MACOM’s fiscal year ending September, 2017
- MACOM to benefit from over $600 million of tax net operating loss carry forwards
Commenting on the transaction, John Croteau, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, "This transaction will accelerate and expand MACOM’s breakout opportunity in Enterprise and Cloud Data Centers. MACOM will now be able to provide all the requisite semiconductor content for optical networks - analog, photonic and PHY - from the switch to fiber for long haul, metro, access, backhaul and Data Center. AppliedMicro’s 100G to 400G single-lambda PAM4 platform should perfectly complement MACOM's leadership in analog and photonic components for Data Centers.
“Notably, the IEEE recently recommended the adoption of AppliedMicro’s single lambda PAM4 solution to be an industry standard for enterprise and Data Center connectivity, positioning this technology as the solution of choice going forward. Additionally, AppliedMicro’s Connectivity business aligns well with MACOM's differentiated, high-growth business model, offering non-GAAP gross margins well in excess of MACOM’s long term target operating model, long product life cycles, and sticky customer relationships.”
“AppliedMicro also provides value-added technologies including SerDes, high speed analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters with industry-leading engineering competencies and long product lifecycles. Importantly, we expect that this transaction will establish MACOM with an incumbent position supplying strategic components and enterprise and cloud Data Center customers.”
MACOM intends to divest AppliedMicro’s well-positioned Compute business within 100 days from closing the transaction, as the business does not strategically align with MACOM’s long-term focus. AppliedMicro has been exploring strategic options for the Compute business and there is known strategic interest among several potential buyers and investors. MACOM will continue to support Compute customers and partners during this transition.
“This is an exciting day for AppliedMicro, and we are pleased to be joining forces with MACOM. The transaction affirms the value that our employees have created and provides a strong path forward for our Connectivity business while delivering AppliedMicro stockholders a robust premium,” said Paramesh Gopi, President and CEO, AppliedMicro. “This transaction will create an industry powerhouse with the scale, deep customer relationships, innovative technology, and enabling products that will help deliver explosive growth in Enterprise and Cloud Data Centers. In addition, this agreement provides a promising path forward for the Compute business, which is in the process of bringing AppliedMicro’s highly-competitive third-generation X-Gene processor to market. X-Gene is well-positioned to address the large opportunity for mainstream server processors with its proven high performance cores, scalable interconnect and high per socket memory capabilities.”
MACOM intends to commence a tender offer to purchase each outstanding common share of AppliedMicro for approximately $8.36 per share, consisting of $3.25 in cash and 0.1089 MACOM shares per share of AppliedMicro. MACOM will assume certain equity awards held by AppliedMicro employees. The transaction value is approximately $770 million in diluted equity value, or approximately $688 million net of AppliedMicro’s cash position of approximately $82 million as of September 30, 2016. The transaction is expected to be accretive to MACOM's non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP operating margin and non-GAAP EPS in fiscal year 2017, excluding the Compute business. AppliedMicro stockholders are expected to own approximately 15% of the combined company on a pro forma basis. MACOM expects to pay the cash portion of the acquisition price from cash on hand. The boards of directors of both companies have approved the transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals. MACOM currently expects the transaction to close in the first calendar quarter of 2017.
Evercore is acting as exclusive financial advisor and Ropes & Gray LLP is serving as legal counsel to MACOM.
Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC is acting as exclusive financial advisor and Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP is serving as legal counsel to AppliedMicro. The board of directors of AppliedMicro received a fairness opinion from Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC and Needham & Company, LLC.
Conference Call and Slide Presentation Information
MACOM will host a conference call on Monday, November 21 at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time (6:00 a.m. Pacific Time). The conference call will be broadcast live over the Internet with a slide presentation and can be accessed by all interested parties on the Investor section of MACOM's website at http://ir.macomtech.com/. On the call will be John Croteau, MACOM's President and Chief Executive Officer, and Robert McMullan, MACOM's Chief Financial Officer. Investors and analysts are invited to participate on the call. To listen to the live call, please go to the Investor section of MACOM's website and click on the Conference Call link at least fifteen minutes prior to the start of the call to register, download, and install any necessary audio software.
When: Monday, November 21, 2016Time: 9:00 a.m. Eastern TimeDial in: 1+(877) 837-3908; outside the U.S. 1+(973) 872-3000Participant Code: 24085998Live Webcast: http://ir.macom.com/events.cfm
For those unable to participate during the live broadcast, a replay will be available shortly after the call and will be available on MACOM's website for 7 days. The replay dial-in number is 1-(855) 859-2056 and the pass code is 24085998. International callers should dial +1(404) 537-3406 and enter the same pass code at the prompt. Additionally, the conference call will be broadcast live over the Internet and can be accessed by all interested parties for approximately 60 days in the Investor Relations section of the Company's website at http://ir.macomtech.com/.
Further details of the transaction are set out in MACOM's Current Report on Form 8-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 21, 2016.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Liberty Mutual to Acquire Ironshore from Fosun for ~$3 Billion
- CGI Group (GIB) Enters Specific Class A Shares Buyback Program
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Teleflex (TFX) Ahead of Vascular Solutions (VASC) Acquisition
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesConference Calls, Corporate News, Hot Corp. News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions, Trader Talk, Trading Halts
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Needham & Company, Twitter, Definitive Agreement, 14D9
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!