Gold Bugs Hope to Dodge Benanke's Flyswatter
- China Cuts Benchmark Rate Amid Weaknening Growth Prospects; Markets React (FXI)
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 11/21: (CANF) (NGVC) (EDAP) Higher; (MOLG) (NBS) (WAIR) Lower
- Dow Chemical (DOW), Third Point Enter Agreement; Four New Independent Directors Added
- Large Cut from OPEC Would Be 'Self-Negating', Says Goldman Sachs
- UPDATE: Volkswagen AG (VLKAY) Will Invest EUR 85.6B Over Next 5Y in Auto Ops - Bloomberg
SPDR Gold Trust (NYSE: GLD) is expected to open higher on Tuesday, as spot gold prices rally. The move higher isn't expected to have much more traction short-term, as gold traders await the FOMC rate decision on Wednesday. While rates are not expected to change, comments from the Fed are expected to indicate further quantitative easing, and this has gold bulls sharpening their horns. Easy monetary policy supports gold prices because it adds liquidity and helps stoke inflation. Gold bulls also hope an easy-money policy will undermine the bullish trend in the U.S. dollar. However, if Fed officials fail to deliver on QE in terms of size and scope, it could send gold-bugs scrambling, and gold would likely head back below $1600/oz.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Fed Officials Saw Need to Watch for Inflation Expectations to Drop - FOMC Minutes
- UPDATE: Poll Shows 38% Yes, 47% No in Swiss Gold Vote
- UPDATE: Crude Inventory -1.735M Barrels vs 680K Expected (OIL) (USO) (UCO)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCommodities, ETFs
Related EntitiesFederal Open Market Committee
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!