Gold Bugs Hope to Dodge Benanke's Flyswatter
- Market Wrap: PPI Flat in August; Rackspace Nixes Sale Idea; Boeing, SpaceX Get NASA Contract
- After-Hours Stock Movers 9/16: (AUXL) (NSPR) (YRCW) Higher; (RAX) (ADBE) (SXL) Lower (more...)
- Adobe Systems (ADBE) Tops Q3 EPS by 2c
- Rackspace (RAX) Ends Formal Evaluation of M&A Transactions
- Endo (ENDP) Makes $28.10/Share Bid for Auxilium Pharma (AUXL)
SPDR Gold Trust (NYSE: GLD) is expected to open higher on Tuesday, as spot gold prices rally. The move higher isn't expected to have much more traction short-term, as gold traders await the FOMC rate decision on Wednesday. While rates are not expected to change, comments from the Fed are expected to indicate further quantitative easing, and this has gold bulls sharpening their horns. Easy monetary policy supports gold prices because it adds liquidity and helps stoke inflation. Gold bulls also hope an easy-money policy will undermine the bullish trend in the U.S. dollar. However, if Fed officials fail to deliver on QE in terms of size and scope, it could send gold-bugs scrambling, and gold would likely head back below $1600/oz.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Investors Could Be Lowballing Risk of FOMC Hawkishness, Says Citi
- Natural Gas Inventory 92 bcf vs 84 bcf Expected
- Bank of England's Carney Hints at Spring 2015 Rate Increase (FXB)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCommodities, ETFs
Related EntitiesFederal Open Market Committee
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!