eBay's (EBAY) Sale of MercadoLibre (MELI) Shares 'Makes Sense'; Slight Overhang Will Linger - Cowen
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Analyst Thomas Champion said,
The prospectus contained preliminary 3Q results that are mostly in line with our estimates.
The analyst continued,
MELI shares were indicating -6% in after hours trading and we expect this offering to be an overhang until the distribution is completed. However, the sale makes sense in our view given: (1) MELI shares have had a strong run of late, +60% YTD; and (2) at current prices, eBay could gross ~$1BN from the transaction (less post-tax) which could then be returned to shareholders via the buyback or used for other investment or M&A. eBay (EBAY, Market Perform, $31.50) shares were +2% after hours. We wrote about the possibility of an eBay sale in our initiation report this past April.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Seaport Global Securities Upgrades Flowserve Corp. (FLS) to Buy
- Teradyne (TER) PT Raised to $28 at Deutsche Bank; Reiterates Buy
- Gundlach sees Trump views weakening dollar, boosting TIPS demand
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Insider Trades
Related EntitiesCowen & Co
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!