Why IBM (IBM) Is Weak After Beating EPS - RBC
- Futures flat as earnings season gathers pace
- Alibaba (BABA) Tops Q3 EPS by 17c, Revenues Rise 54%
- DuPont (DD) Tops Q4 EPS by 9c; Sees Merger Closing in First Half
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Guides Modestly Below the Street
- Barclays Downgrades Apple (AAPL) to Equalweight, Concerned India/China Will not Emerge As Growth Catalysts
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
RBC Capital analyst, Amit Daryanani, reiterated his Sector Perform rating on shares of IBM (NYSE: IBM) after the company reported Sept-qtr results of $19.2B/$3.29, which beat consensus estimates of $19.0B/$3.23 on both revenue and EPS.
However, the quality of EPS will be a focus for investors since IBM saw two unusual benefits:
1) a lower tax rate of 14% vs. expectation of 18%
2) IP revenues ~$300M higher than expected that helped offset gross-margin headwinds across the business segments, (Cognitive in particular).
The focus for IBM will likely shift towards CY17 where the lack of 1x items could make the path towards showing EPS/FCF growth more difficult to realize, though minimal f/x headwinds and more buyback contribution could be an incremental positive.
IBM does not provide formal quarterly guidance and the implied EPS guide for the December quarter EPS would be “at least ~$4.92” ($13.50 CY16 EPS guide). The analyst's CY16 revenue/EPS estimates move to $79.9B/$13.50.
Separately, management maintained its free cash flow guidance for 2016 at the higher end of the original $11-12B guidance. Although at the higher end of guidance, this is down from $13B+ in 2015.
No change to the price target of $165.00
Shares of IBM closed at $154.77 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Bank of Marin Bancorp (BMRC) PT Raised to $70 at FIG Partners Following 4Q Report
- RBC Capital Reiterates Outperform on General Electric (GE) Following 4Q
- Jefferies Downgrades NantKwest (NK) to Hold
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Earnings
Related EntitiesRBC Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!