Whole Foods Market (WFM): Mixed Signals Drive Estimate Cuts - BMO
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BMO Capital analyst, Kelly Bania, reiterated her Underperform rating on shares of Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM) after F4Q16 earnings were ahead of expectations but concerns about comp growth slowing drove her to cut estimates.
F17E EPS drops to $1.42 (from $1.49) and F18E EPS is now $1.38 ($1.53 prior). The $23 target price is now based on a 16-17x P/E on F2018E EPS.
Not all of the datapoints were dire though and some encouraging signs include
1) an improvement in items/basket (+1.6% in F4Q16)
2) an improvement in the quarter-to-date comp (-1.6% in Oct vs -2.6% in F4Q16)
3) a more confident tone in the ability to execute more targeted price investments given better customer/data analysis (including Nielsen data)
4) an expected F17 national launch of the loyalty program following a test in the Dallas market
5) strong progress against the company’s cost savings plan (over halfway towards the two-year $300MM expense reduction achieved)
6) a re-acceleration in marketing efforts is expected in F17 (including direct mail campaign during the holidays)
7) steadier sequential comps compared with peers despite the extremely deflationary food retail backdrop
Shares of Whole Foods Market closed at $28.51 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- BMO Capital Cuts Price Target on Cooper Cos. (COO) Following 4Q Results
- UBS Cuts Price Target on Restoration Hardware (RH) to $34 Following 3Q
- MKM Partners Raises Price Target on Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) to $207 Following 4Q Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Earnings
Related EntitiesBMO Capital, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!