Viacom (VIAB): Merger With CBS Is Back On The Table - BMO
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
BMO Capital analyst, Daniel Salomon, reiterated his Market Perform rating on shares of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB) as the announcement should allow Viacom to resume more normal operations after deteriorating over the past few quarters. The legal battles over governance have held up completion of SVOD agreements and have likely held up negotiations to distribute networks in certain skinny bundles or move on a potential minority investment in Paramount. What doesn't change is Viacom's ratings challenges and weak hand in negotiating network distribution, both in traditional and OTT packages.
The analyst believes that the announcement does not preclude a potential re-merger with CBS but press reports have also suggested CBS CEO Les Moonves may be tapped as CEO of both companies and it is unclear if they meant as separate entities or remerged. The analyst thinks "the possibility of a re-merger with CBS is on the table".
No change to the price target of $40.
Shares of Viacom closed at $43.49 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Viacom's (VIAB) Paramount, Shanghai Film, Huahua Sign Agreement to Co-Finance Slate of Films - Deadline.com
- Union Pacific (UNP) PT Raised to $102 at Stifel Following 4Q Report
- Herbalife's (HLF) Debt Package News Seen as 'Enormous Positive' at Pivotal Research
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View
Related EntitiesBMO Capital, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!