Viacom (VIAB): Merger With CBS Is Back On The Table - BMO
- Stocks dip as earnings pour in, consumer discretionary lags
- UPDATE: Alphabet (GOOG) Tops Q3 EPS Views; Revs Strong
- Twitter (TWTR) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Announces Restructuring, Workforce Reduction
- Amazon.com (AMZN) Misses Q3 EPS by 26c, Offers Q4 Guidance
- Qualcomm (QCOM) to Acquire NXP Semi (NXPI) in $47B Deal
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
BMO Capital analyst, Daniel Salomon, reiterated his Market Perform rating on shares of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB) as the announcement should allow Viacom to resume more normal operations after deteriorating over the past few quarters. The legal battles over governance have held up completion of SVOD agreements and have likely held up negotiations to distribute networks in certain skinny bundles or move on a potential minority investment in Paramount. What doesn't change is Viacom's ratings challenges and weak hand in negotiating network distribution, both in traditional and OTT packages.
The analyst believes that the announcement does not preclude a potential re-merger with CBS but press reports have also suggested CBS CEO Les Moonves may be tapped as CEO of both companies and it is unclear if they meant as separate entities or remerged. The analyst thinks "the possibility of a re-merger with CBS is on the table".
No change to the price target of $40.
Shares of Viacom closed at $43.49 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Rosenblatt Upgrades NETGEAR (NTGR) to Buy
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Essendant (ESND) to $18 Following EPS Miss
- F5 Networks (FFIV) PT Raised to $120 at Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View
Related EntitiesBMO Capital, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!