UPDATE: Sterne Agee Downgrades DSW Inc. (DSW) to Underperform
- Greece, China Issues Weigh on Market Psychology
- Aetna (AET) to Acquire Humana (HUM) for $37 Billion, or $230/Share
- Top 10 News for 6/29 - 7/2: Greece's Bark Bites Markets; Tesla's Q2 Sales Outpace; Major Insurance Merger Announced
- Yelp (YELP) Sale Process Said to Stall as CEO Changes Mind
- UPDATE: Nonfarm Payrolls Added 223K in June, Missing Views Amid Gains in Health Care, Retail Trade
Sterne Agee downgraded DSW Inc. (NYSE: DSW) from Neutral to Underperform with a price target of $23.00. FY14 SSS estimates were reduced to -3.4% (from -2.3%) and 2014/15 ESP estimates were lowered to to $1.43/$1.65 (from $1.55/$1.88). Analyst Sam Poser noted weak trends and poor planning.
"DSW will face challenges for the foreseeable future. After excellent results from 2009 through 2012, DSW is facing its first major hurdles and will likely further lower guidance. Lack of fashion trends have and a cool start to spring certainly hurt business, but DSW's internal execution made it worse and prevent optimizing its business in the future," said Poser.
"Over the past five years DSW has posted positive annual same-store sales of 4.3%, 14%, 8.6%, 5.7%, and 0.1%. The flat SSS in 4Q13 appears to have been driven by promotional activity, given the 75bp deterioration of the gross margin. The negative 3.7% comps in 1Q14 and the 211bp deterioration of gross margin were the result of few trends, poor weather, and in our mind failure to attack problem inventory in a timely manner. We are confident that had DSW's merchants and planners been more proactive, 1Q14 sales would have been better, inventory gross margin would have been worse, inventory levels would have been in line with sales, and the company would have been positioned to move on. We believe that DSW's fashion footwear concept is a strong one, but poor execution issues run deep and if not remedied will do further damage," he added.
Shares of DSW Inc. closed at $27.16 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Deutsche Bank Downgrades Thompson Creek Metals (TC) to Sell
- FBR Capital Lowers Price Target on Diamond Offshore Drilling (DO) Following Bearish Implications
- UBS Raises Price Target on CBOE Holdings (CBOE) Following June Index Volumes
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Downgrades, Hot Downgrades, Retail Sales
Related EntitiesSterne Agee, Sam Poser
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!