UPDATE: MKM Partners Downgrades Whirlpool Corporation (WHR) to Neutral on Concerns About Higher Steel Prices
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
(Updated - October 17, 2016 10:41 AM EDT)
MKM Partners downgraded Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) from Buy to Neutral with a price target of $176.00 (from $215.00). Analyst Megan McGrath sees headwinds from steel prices, which are up 17% year-over-year.
"We are lowering our 4Q16 and 2017 EPS estimates based primarily on the rise this year in steel prices. Although steel prices have pulled back meaningfully from the recent highs set in June, we think it would be unrealistic to assume that the higher y/y prices experienced during 2Q and 3Q this year won't have at least a short-term impact on WHR margins," said McGrath.
"WHR shares have pulled back 16% from their 2016 highs and are up roughly 10% ytd (vs. a 1.6% decline and 4.5% rise, respectively in the S&P 500). As a result, some of the higher steel prices may already be priced in (although we do not believe they are in consensus estimates yet). At 11x forward EPS, we do not view the shares as expensive, but no longer see them as a bargain given likely steel price and potential FX headwinds. If steel prices were to reverse course and/or we become confident in WHR's ability to more than offset the headwinds, we could potentially become constructive again on the shares," added the analyst.
Shares of Whirlpool Corporation closed at $160.75 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Morgan Stanley Downgrades Workiva (WK) to Equalweight, Says Owning The Stock Could be Challenging In 2017
- Bassett Furniture (BSET) PT Raised to $28 at Stifel Following 4Q EPS Beat
- Barclays Downgrades Camden Property Trust (CPT) to Equalweight
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades
Related EntitiesStandard & Poor's
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!