UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Sees Limited Catalysts for ExxonMobil (XOM) Lowers Rating to Neutral
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
(Updated - October 31, 2016 8:26 AM EDT)
Goldman Sachs downgraded ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM) from Conviction Buy to Neutral with a price target of $93.00 (prior $98.00). Analyst Neil Mehta said he sees limited catalysts and said risk/reward is more favorable in Chevron (NYSE: CVX).
"Since our upgrade to Buy in March 2015, we have viewed XOM as a defensive winner, with sharp downside to capital spending forecasts and near-term growth from international project start-ups," said Mehta. "However, as we look forward into 2017/2018, we see CVX as the Super Major better positioned to generate cash flow, production growth and deliver a multiple re-rating. We see few catalysts for XOM to drive relative outperformance vs. Energy, especially in a rangebound commodity price environment. Based on comments at the analyst day and conference calls, XOM has been hesitant to pursue large scale M&A, which may have provided greater investor confidence around reserve replacement/growth."
The analsyt added, "We see more upside in CVX than XOM given higher levels of growth with the in-service of large Australia LNG projects; greater clarity on maximizing value in the Permian and US unconventional plays; and stronger free cash flow generation in 2017/2018."
Shares of ExxonMobil closed at $84.78 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- MKM Partners Raises Price Target on Hartford Financial (HIG) to $55
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) to $210 Following 4Q
- KLR Group Cuts Price Target on Bill Barrett (BBG) to $9; Reiterates Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot Comments, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, Goldman Sachs
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!