UPDATE: Goldman Sachs Sees Limited Catalysts for ExxonMobil (XOM) Lowers Rating to Neutral
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
(Updated - October 31, 2016 8:26 AM EDT)
Goldman Sachs downgraded ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM) from Conviction Buy to Neutral with a price target of $93.00 (prior $98.00). Analyst Neil Mehta said he sees limited catalysts and said risk/reward is more favorable in Chevron (NYSE: CVX).
"Since our upgrade to Buy in March 2015, we have viewed XOM as a defensive winner, with sharp downside to capital spending forecasts and near-term growth from international project start-ups," said Mehta. "However, as we look forward into 2017/2018, we see CVX as the Super Major better positioned to generate cash flow, production growth and deliver a multiple re-rating. We see few catalysts for XOM to drive relative outperformance vs. Energy, especially in a rangebound commodity price environment. Based on comments at the analyst day and conference calls, XOM has been hesitant to pursue large scale M&A, which may have provided greater investor confidence around reserve replacement/growth."
The analsyt added, "We see more upside in CVX than XOM given higher levels of growth with the in-service of large Australia LNG projects; greater clarity on maximizing value in the Permian and US unconventional plays; and stronger free cash flow generation in 2017/2018."
Shares of ExxonMobil closed at $84.78 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- JPMorgan Downgrades Endo International plc (ENDP) to Neutral
- JPMorgan Cuts Teva Pharma (TEVA) to Neutral Amid Challenging Generic Environment
- Bassett Furniture (BSET) PT Raised to $28 at Stifel Following 4Q EPS Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Downgrades, Hot Comments, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs Conviction Buy List, Goldman Sachs
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!