UPDATE: Credit Suisse Sees Opportunity for Change at US Steel (X); Stock Upraded to Outperform
- Wall Street rises in volatile session ahead of jobs data
- Market Wrap: ISM Services Slip in August; Markets Mixed Ahead of Nonfarm Jobs Data; Brady Tops Goodell in Court
- After Hours Stocks Movers 09/03: (BLOX) Higher; (VNCE) (UTIW) (PAY) (more...)
- Twitter (TWTR) Seen as 'Compelling' Ahead of Board Meeting, CEO Search Results
- Lannett (LCI) to Acquire Kremers Urban Pharmaceuticals in $1.23B + Contingency Payments Deal
Credit Suisse upgraded US Steel (NYSE: X) two notches from Underperform to Outperform with a price target of $50.00. Analyst Nathan Littlewood noted potential for transformational change at the company, and he called the stock as one of the most intriguing stories in the US steel sector.
"The company's raw material cost advantages as well as privileged steel price environment should position X as one of the most profitable steel makers in the world," said Littlewood. "Turning X's strategic advantages into earnings is something that the company has historically struggled to do, but we have reason to believe that this may be changing. Implementation is complicated, but success could mean a multi-billion dollar earnings opportunity. A specific example is X's ability to produce Direct Reduced Iron using vertically integrated iron ore; which we see as providing this company the ability to produce some of the lowest cost steel in North America; a stark change relative to the status quo."
Littlewood also thinks the stock will benefit as the macro environment improves.
"The stars are currently aligning: 1) domestic outages and demand strength is keeping the market tighter than we'd expected, 2) Trade cases are enabling the US market to decouple from ROW issues (China slowdown, global overcapacity etc) and 3) consolidation should bring with it better pricing discipline and potentially supply side rationalization," she said.
Shares of US Steel closed at $37.81 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UBS Cuts Price target on NCI Building Systems (NCS) Following 3Q15 Results
- Piper Jaffray Remains Neutral on B&G Foods (BGS) Following Announced Acquisition of Green Giant
- Citi Upgrades AT&T (T) to Buy
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Hot Comments, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesCredit Suisse, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!