UPDATE: Canaccord Genuity Starts Marathon Oil (MRO) at Hold
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- China Oceanwide to Acquire Genworth Financial (GNW) for $2.7B
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - September 30, 2016 9:22 AM EDT)
Canaccord Genuity initiated coverage on Marathon Oil (NYSE: MRO) with a Hold rating and a price target of $16. Analyst Stephen Berman said is cautious on the fact that the company is unhedged.
Berman summarized his view, writing, "MRO's main focus is on unconventional resource basins onshore in the U.S., where it has solid positions in the STACK/SCOOP in Oklahoma, Eagle Ford (EF) in South Texas, and Williston Basin (WB) in North Dakota. The company is one of the most levered to oil among U.S. large-caps. MRO has an improved balance sheet helped by noncore divestitures above the targeted range, which it can use to exploit an asset base enhanced by the recent PayRock STACK acquisition. MRO trades at a 2017E EV/EBITDA of 8.2x versus the 7.9x median for our Oklahoma/EF/WB coverage group. The company is basically unhedged in 2017 and beyond however, and at the strip the multiple is 9.4x. Given the operational leverage to oil and gas prices, being unhedged makes us cautious, and we therefore initiate coverage of MRO with a HOLD rating and $16 price target, which represents an implied 8.3x EV/EBITDA multiple on our 2017E EBITDA of ~$2.3B."
Shares of Marathon Oil closed at $15.90 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Imperial Capital Raises Price Target on Proofpoint (PFPT) Following Strong 3Q Results
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on ICON plc (ICLR) to $87.50; Reiterates Hold
- PayPal (PYPL) PT Raised to $45 at Oppenheimer
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, New Coverage
Related EntitiesCanaccord Genuity, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!