UPDATE: Canaccord Genuity Starts Energen (EGN) at Buy
- AT&T (T) Agrees to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for More than $80 Billion - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - September 19, 2016 10:50 AM EDT)
Canaccord Genuity initiated coverage on Energen (NYSE: EGN) with a Buy rating and a price target of $66. Analyst Sam Burwell sees 19% production CAGR through 2018. He also highlighted its streamlined asset base and clean balance sheet.
"Until recently, EGN had been something of an afterthought in comparison to Permian high flyers PE, FANG and RSPP, due to what was considered more marginal acreage, a legacy San Juan asset and greater leverage. However, we are of the view that both its Midland and Delaware positions can support meaningful growth with WTI in the ~$40s," said Burwell. "Also, after having sold the rest of the San Juan and non-core Delaware this summer, we believe the streamlined EGN should trade at a higher multiple. Given that the valuation discount to peers still lingers, we believe EGN's strengths are not yet fully factored into the shares."
The analyst added, "Assuming the majority of its DUCs are completed in H1/17 and it maintains a 3rig program next year, we see EGN easily hitting the "high-teens" production growth guidance. We model a 5-rig program in 2018 with a more normalized completion schedule. Given the clean balance sheet and economic asset base, we believe EGN's growth trajectory should be relatively resilient. Lastly, the increasing use of larger fracs and simply being early on the Delaware learning curve could ultimately make our production estimates conservative."
Shares of Energen closed at $52.83 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Imperial Capital Raises Price Target on Proofpoint (PFPT) Following Strong 3Q Results
- PayPal (PYPL) PT Raised to $47 at Credit Suisse; Results Just 'Ok' But Visability Increases Conviction
- iRhythm Technologies (IRTC) Prices Larger Common Stock IPO at $17/Share, Above Expected Range
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, New Coverage
Related EntitiesCanaccord Genuity
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!