UPDATE: Brean Capital Downgrades Nike (NKE) to Hold
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
(Updated - September 28, 2016 9:45 AM EDT)
Brean Capital downgraded Nike (NYSE: NKE) from Buy to Hold and removed its price target (prior $62.00). The downgrade followed the release of Q1 results. Analyst Eric Tracy pointed out the company's "innovation reset" in North America.
Tracy explained, "We are lowering our rating from Buy to Hold following last night's 1Q results, with our more neutral stance based on our belief that NKE is now in the midst of an 'innovation reset' as evidenced by 1) more evolutionary product innovation amidst a consumer shift towards less technical, more lifestyle product (relative to 'visible' tech platforms that tend to drive rev growth: Air, Lunar, Free, Flyknit) and 2) decelerating futures growth in North America as the market resets. We believe NT upside catalysts are relatively limited (with EPS algorithm increasingly driven by lower quality SG&A, tax and share count), even as we continue to believe in the LT story (supported by top-down design focus, accretive mix shifts to DTC/int'l, and mfg/ supply chain revolution)."
The analyst added, "Accordingly, while we are tweaking our estimates lower, and don't assign a FV to Hold rated stocks (sensitivity analysis herein frames a range of outcomes; arrives at base case FV of $52, 20x our new FY18 EPS est), we would look to get more constructive on share pullbacks and/or improved visibility to quality EPS growth/potential upside."
Shares of Nike closed at $55.34 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Wedbush Reiterates Outperform on Pool Corp. (POOL) Following 3Q Report
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on ICON plc (ICLR) to $87.50; Reiterates Hold
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Reliance Steel (RS) Following 3Q EPS Miss and Guidance
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Downgrades
Related EntitiesBrean Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!