UBS Remains Sidelined on New Relic (NEWR) as Challenges Overshadow 2Q Upside
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
UBS maintained a Neutral rating on New Relic (NYSE: NEWR), and cut the price target to $38.00 (from $39.00), following the company's 2Q earnings report. NEWR reported Revenues and EPS upside of $1.5M and $0.07. However, these results are most likely overshadowed by billings down q/q for the 2nd consecutive quarter and deferred revenue down q/q for the first time ever.
Analyst Brent Thill commented, "NEWR delivered FQ2 Revenue/EPS upside of $1.5M/$0.07, but these results are likely overshadowed by billings down q/q for the 2nd consecutive qtr ($61.6M, +24% y/y vs. +39% in FQ1) and deferred revenue down q/q for the first time ever – a rare occurrence for a subscription model. We don't think these metrics capture the true story given the sizeable SMB portion of the business and short contract duration (~6 mos, in-line with FY16), but also note that with shares trading at ~6x EV/S on CY17e, the results are unlikely to sit well with investors. Despite these missteps, we still like the fundamentals - as NEWR is one of just a few modern horses in the APM race, and believe the move towards enterprise is also introducing a more pronounced seasonality into the business, with 1H17 focus on landing new customers (1H17 net adds +50% vs. 2H16) providing seeds for expansion into the back-half of the year. We expect to hear more at the analyst day session on Nov. 16th in SF."
Shares of New Relic closed at $34.36 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Oppenheimer Cuts Price Target on Workday (WDAY) Following 3Q; Reiterates Outperform
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on Dollar General (DG) Following 3Q
- Jefferies Cuts Price Target on PG&E Corp. (PCG) to $65 Following Rate Case Decision
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change
Related EntitiesUBS, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!