The Analyst With The Lowest '17 iPhone Estimates Sees '18 As Apple's (AAPL) Turning Point - Oppenheimer
- Wall St. edges higher as earnings gather pace
- Alibaba (BABA) Tops Q3 EPS by 17c, Revenues Rise 54%
- DuPont (DD) Tops Q4 EPS by 9c; Sees Merger Closing in First Half
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Guides Modestly Below the Street
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 01/24: (MPSX) (IIVI) (AKS) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (VZ) Lower (more...)
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Oppenheimer analyst, Andrew Uerkwitz, reiterated his Perform rating on shares of Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) and introduced FY18 estimates. He highlights that his F17 estimate is the lowest on the street, 10% below consensus, and believes that consensus is not low enough to account for the elongated iPhone cycle. That said, he is above the street for iPhone unit shipments in 2018 and at 245 million units he tops consensus by 3%.
The analyst is expecting a decline of 6.4% Y/Y to 197M units, due to a weak replacement cycle, competitive threats, and tough iPhone SE comps. The consensus estimate is at 221M units, or 5% growth Y/Y. We believe consensus estimates are at risk for the coming March and June quarters. Based on available public information about the iPhone 7, he believes the new features (dual camera, pressure-sensitive home button, and wireless charging) and minor design changes are unlikely to either drive enough existing users to upgrade sooner or attract more switchers than before from Android devices.
Why will 2018 bring an acceleration in growth? The analyst believes the 2017 iPhone will see substantial design changes that may drive stronger demand, potentially shortening the elongated replacement cycle. He sees the 2017 iPhone as Apple's attempt to catch up in mobile VR.
Shares of Apple closed at $108.37 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Baird Is Buying Apple (AAPL) In Front Of iPhone 8 Cycle, Says Co. "Still Poised To Ripen"
- Zions Bancorp (ZION) PT Lowered to $49 at FIG Partners Following 4Q EPS Beat
- Targa Resources (TRGP) PT Raised to $65 at Credit Suisse
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View
Related EntitiesAndrew Uerkwitz
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!