The Analyst With The Lowest '17 iPhone Estimates Sees '18 As Apple's (AAPL) Turning Point - Oppenheimer
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends flat; Microsoft rallies, healthcare falls
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Oppenheimer analyst, Andrew Uerkwitz, reiterated his Perform rating on shares of Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) and introduced FY18 estimates. He highlights that his F17 estimate is the lowest on the street, 10% below consensus, and believes that consensus is not low enough to account for the elongated iPhone cycle. That said, he is above the street for iPhone unit shipments in 2018 and at 245 million units he tops consensus by 3%.
The analyst is expecting a decline of 6.4% Y/Y to 197M units, due to a weak replacement cycle, competitive threats, and tough iPhone SE comps. The consensus estimate is at 221M units, or 5% growth Y/Y. We believe consensus estimates are at risk for the coming March and June quarters. Based on available public information about the iPhone 7, he believes the new features (dual camera, pressure-sensitive home button, and wireless charging) and minor design changes are unlikely to either drive enough existing users to upgrade sooner or attract more switchers than before from Android devices.
Why will 2018 bring an acceleration in growth? The analyst believes the 2017 iPhone will see substantial design changes that may drive stronger demand, potentially shortening the elongated replacement cycle. He sees the 2017 iPhone as Apple's attempt to catch up in mobile VR.
Shares of Apple closed at $108.37 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- PayPal (PYPL) PT Raised to $45 at Oppenheimer
- AMD (AMD) Q3 'Solid' - Jefferies
- Imperial Capital Raises Price Target on Proofpoint (PFPT) Following Strong 3Q Results
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View
Related EntitiesAndrew Uerkwitz
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!