TASER (TASR) Finally Has a Real Competitor - Oppenheimer
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Oppenheimer analyst Andrew Uerkwitz notes TASER International (NASDAQ: TASR) finally has real competitor after Vievu landed the NYPD contract, which will make it more competitive.
Uerkwitz commented, "We've had a chance to review the Vievu-NYPD contract. With 4,000 agencies and approximately 50,000 cameras in use, Vievu (private) has been a formidable competitor to TASER for some time and even beat TASER to the body camera opportunity (first camera shipped in 2007). But with only two top-50 agency wins (neither fully deployed), the company has struggled to appear on investor radars. That changed on Friday when it was announced that NYPD (~34,000 agents strong) chose Vievu as its body camera/evidence management partner for the agency's ~1,000 body camera trial. We see this win as a cornerstone for Vievu and would expect it to be more competitive to TASER (80% of major cities) for future large city deals. The economics are lower than what we've typically seen, but it's not out of the ordinary to offer aggressive pricing to larger agencies (TASER's London Met body camera deal comes to mind). So we do not expect to see a "race to the bottom" in the body camera/evidence management space."
The firm reiterated a Perform rating on TASR.
Shares of TASER International closed at $23.71 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Valeant's (VRX) Weak Business Could Force it to Refinance Debt - Wells Fargo's Maris
- Imperial Capital Raises Price Target on American Airlines (AAL) Following 3Q EPS Beat
- AMD (AMD) Q3 'Solid' - Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesAndrew Uerkwitz
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!