Stifel Comments on Gap's (GPS) June Sales Numbers
- Wall St. ends May with whimper as energy shares slump
- SoftBank Plans Sale of Up to $7.9B of Alibaba (BABA) Shares as Part of Capital Raise Initiative
- Staples (SPLS) CEO Sargent to Step Down
- Under Armour (UA) Revises FY Outlook Following The Sports Authority Bankruptcy
- After-Hours Stock Movers 05/31: (ZOES) (BYD) (SRPT) Higher; (ADPT) (ASNA) (UA) (BABA) Lower (more...)
Stifel is issuing brief commentary on Gap, Inc. (NYSE: GPS) following June sales results.
Analyst Richard Jaffe said,
Comp store sales decreased 2% in June, below our estimate and consensus. Performance was weak at the Gap and Banana Republic divisions while Old Navy outperformed. We anticipate that the strength at Old Navy in 2Q will offset the weakness at the Gap and BR divisions. We anticipate better results from Gap and BR beginning Fall.
We anticipate that management’s efforts to clear inventory in July will prove effective, enabling the company to start 3Q with a leaner inventory position than LY. The recent developments at Piperlime in which the men’s business has been discontinued and much of women’s has been put on sale are the handiwork of a new management team at this division and their efforts to refocus the business on its core strengths in women’s apparel, accessories and shoes.
Stifel has Gap at Buy with a target price of $48.
Gap, Inc. closed at $41.42 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: UBS Raises Price Target on Five Below (FIVE) to $47; Reiterates Buy
- FBR Capital Starts PGT, Inc. (PGTI) at Outperform
- FBR Capital Starts Stock Building Supply (STCK) at Outperform
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Retail Sales
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!