Square (SQ) a Top Pick at Mizuho But Also a Takeover Candidate
- Banks, telecoms lead Wall Street up; another Dow record
- Western Digital (WDC) Raises Q2 Outlook
- bluebird bio (BLUE) to Offer $200M of Common Stock
- Dave & Buster's Entertainment (PLAY) Tops Q3 EPS by 11c, Raises FY Revenue Guidance
- Deal Progress Said to Slow as Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Puts Actelion (ALIOY) Under Microscope - Source
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Mizuho Securities analyst Neil Doshi reiterated a Buy rating and $16 price target on Square (NYSE: SQ), calling it one of our favorite stocks in the SMID Cap sector given strong execution, a solid management team, deep moats around its 2 million SMB customers, and promising potential for high-margin revenue from software and services. The firm also views it as a takeover candidate.
On takeover potential, Doshi commented, "Square is also highly likely to be acquired, in our view. Given the company’s strong growth (though off of a small base), scale with over two million SMB merchants, and solid take rates and transaction margins, we believe that Square would make an attractive target for several fin-tech companies, like PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), Alibaba (NYSE: BABA), American Express (NYSE: AXP), Chase (NYSE: JPM) and other firms. We could see a scenario where Square could also be a target for Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL) as it builds out its payment platform and can marry payments with Google Enterprise solutions. However, valuation is rich, and the company does not have a proven track record of historic profitability."
Shares of Square closed at $11.23 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Stifel Downgrades PennTex Midstream Partners, LP (PTXP) to Hold
- Stifel Boosts PT on Francesca's (FRAN) to $21; Notes Solid Start to Q4, Confident CEO Strategy
- Oppenheimer Raises Price Target on Bob Evans Farms (BOBE) Following 2Q EPS Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Rumors
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!