Snapchat Continues to Reign Among Teens, Facebook (FB) Sees Teen Engagement Decline
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Snapchat remains teens' favorite and most used social platform, according to Piper Jaffray's 32nd semi-annual Taking Stock With Teens survey.
The new survey showed 80% of teens said they used Snapchat at least once per month, up from 75% in the spring 2016 survey. Meanwhile 35% called it their favorite social platform, up sharply from 24% in the spring 2016 survey.
Facebook's (NASDAQ: FB) Instagram was second with 79% using it at least once per month, up from 74% in the Spring survey. 24% called Instagram their favorite social platform, up from 23% in the spring.
Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) was third among teens, but is seeing declines. 56% said they used Twitter at least once per month (down from 58%) and 13% called it their favorite social platform (down from 16%).
52% of teens said they use Facebook (NASDAQ: FB) at least once per month, down from 60% in the Spring survey. While 13% called it it their favorite social platform, down from 15%.
Commenting on Facebook, analyst Gene Munster said: "Facebook saw declines in the percent of teens indicating they use the platform, which is likely the result of 1) declining engagement as new social platforms shift user behavior, 2) younger teens (less engaged) replacing older teens (more engaged) in survey population, and 3) shifting use case towards Messenger may actually be creating two separate social networks in teens’ minds. Decline in Facebook engagement is largely baked into buyside expectations. Instagram growing despite Snapchat popularity – difference between default public (Instagram) and default private (Snapchat) proving to be a defensive moat."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Apple (AAPL)-Bull Gene Munster said to be Leaving Piper Jaffray - Bloomberg
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on Casey's General Stores (CASY) Following 2Q Earnings Report
- Piper Jaffray Downgrades Allison Transmission (ALSN) to Underweight
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesPiper Jaffray, Gene Munster, Twitter
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!