Sell the Ackman Rally in Chipotle (CMG) - Oppenheimer
- Consumer staples stocks help Wall St. pare some losses
- BAT Reaches Deal to Acquire Reynolds American (RAI) for $49 Billion
- Verizon Communications (VZ) May Acquire Big Cable Company - NYP (CHTR) (CMCSA)
- Citron Research Negative on Lannett (LCI); Sees Shares at 'Zero' Over Long Term
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Tops Q4 EPS by 17c
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Oppenheimer analyst Brian Bittner is telling clients to sell the Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) pop following news Bill Ackman has amassed a nearly 10% stake.
Bittner commented, "We believe CMG's poor risk/reward remains problematic for shareholders. Pershing Square revealed a 9.9% ownership, but unlike other activist situations, we don't see any viable paths to financially engineer shareholder value from the boardroom. CMG remains a hopeful sales/margin rebuilding story, which is at a standstill. Unfortunately, our analysis (click here) highlights meaningful risk to Street's estimates through '18 and supports our caution. At 47x '17E P/E (35x '18E), we question Pershing's suggestion that CMG shares are "under-valued," particularly in light of diminishing returns on capital and risks to unit growth."
The firm maintained a Perform rating.
Shares of Chipotle Mexican Grill closed at $414.07 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- JPMorgan Downgrades Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) to Neutral
- Wedbush Raises Price Target on Trex (TREX) to $58; Reiterates Neutral
- Cowen Raises Price Target on GigOptix (GIG) to $4 Following 4Q Pre-announcement
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesWilliam Ackman, Pershing Square Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!