Sarepta (SRPT) Deal with Summit Removes a Competitive Threat and Increases its Takeover Attractiveness - RBC
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
RBC Capital analyst Simos Simeonidis said he likes Sarepta Therapeutic (NASDAQ: SRPT) EU/LatAm partnership with Summit (NASDAQ: SMMT), as it removes a potential competitive threat with just $40M for access to competitor's drugs. He also said it makes the Sarepta more attractive as a takeover.
"Buying into this early-stage potential competitor protects the downside, allows participation in the upside, makes Sarepta even more attractive M&A candidate," he said. "Summit's small molecule utrophin modulator ezutromid is too early in development (some early data will be available around mid-2017) and we have very little visibility into its efficacy or safety (see back of our report for exhibits with the available data). However, we like Sarepta's move of spending a relatively small amount ($40M) to access this theoretical competitor, primarily because it eliminates/diminishes the potential overhang that would be created should this agent produce positive data in 2017. In the event that ezutromid becomes an actual drug, Sarepta owns EU and (for just another $5M) Latin American rights, allowing the company to participate in the upside. In addition, this would add to Sarepta's attractiveness to an acquirer that would be interested in having access not only to the first commercial product for DMD, but potential follow-on products in the space."
The firm maintained an Outperform rating and price target of $108 on SRPT.
Shares of Sarepta Therapeutic closed at $60.95 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- RBC Recommends Buying Sarepta (SRPT) on Weakness Related to UnitedHealthcare Commercial Drug Policy
- Jefferies Raises Price Target on US Physical Therapy (USPH) to $63 Following 12-Clinic Acquisition
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime Reads 12/1: (ANGI) (CAT) (BLUE) (SRPT)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Rumors
Related EntitiesRBC Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!